Help W/ Calculating LSZ Formula for 2-2 Scattering Amplitude

• Thread starter La Guinee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary: I almost mentioned that in my post because the diagrams I described are clearly of order (v_3)^2 so they are of second order in the coupling constant but teh diagrams are still tree level. So I almost mentioned the fact that the v_4 contribution and the v_3 contributions were of different order in the coupling constant expansion. But I decided to wait and hear back from you first.
La Guinee
I need some help getting started with calculating a two to two scattering amplitude (tree approximation) in the field theory with lagrangian:
g[tex]^{2}[/tex]L = ([tex]\partial[/tex][tex]\phi[/tex])[tex]^{2}[/tex] - V([tex]\phi[/tex])
where V is a polynomial in [tex]\phi[/tex]. That is,
V = [tex]\Sigma[/tex]v[tex]_{n}[/tex][tex]\phi^{n}[/tex]

I am trying to calculate this using techniques of path integration and the lsz formula. I know the answer depends only on v[tex]_{2}[/tex], v[tex]_{3}[/tex], and v[tex]_{4}[/tex] but I don't understand why. When I tried calculating the 4-point green's function I got it depending only on v[tex]_{4}[/tex] so I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

Physics news on Phys.org
La Guinee said:
I need some help getting started with calculating a two to two scattering amplitude (tree approximation) in the field theory with lagrangian:
g[tex]^{2}[/tex]L = ([tex]\partial[/tex][tex]\phi[/tex])[tex]^{2}[/tex] - V([tex]\phi[/tex])
where V is a polynomial in [tex]\phi[/tex]. That is,
V = [tex]\Sigma[/tex]v[tex]_{n}[/tex][tex]\phi^{n}[/tex]

I am trying to calculate this using techniques of path integration and the lsz formula. I know the answer depends only on v[tex]_{2}[/tex], v[tex]_{3}[/tex], and v[tex]_{4}[/tex] but I don't understand why. When I tried calculating the 4-point green's function I got it depending only on v[tex]_{4}[/tex] so I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

Can you post some of your steps?

Yes, there is a four point amplitude that comes from the V_4 term. But you should also get diagrams where there is an internal line connecting two three point vertex (like the tree level of the electron-positron scattering in QED). These will contain v_3 and v_2 (v_2 appearing in the propagator since it's essentially the mass of the scalr field, right?).

There are many many steps going from the lagrangian to an amplitude. Are you stuck with the LSZ part or in evaluating the amplitudes using path integrals? It's not clear where you are stuck, exactly.

kdv said:
Can you post some of your steps?

Yes, there is a four point amplitude that comes from the V_4 term. But you should also get diagrams where there is an internal line connecting two three point vertex (like the tree level of the electron-positron scattering in QED). These will contain v_3 and v_2 (v_2 appearing in the propagator since it's essentially the mass of the scalr field, right?).

There are many many steps going from the lagrangian to an amplitude. Are you stuck with the LSZ part or in evaluating the amplitudes using path integrals? It's not clear where you are stuck, exactly.

I actually figured it out. My mistake was that I was only going to first order. Like you said, you get a v_3 contribution from the second order term where you have an internal propagator. Thanks for the help.

La Guinee said:
I actually figured it out. My mistake was that I was only going to first order. Like you said, you get a v_3 contribution from the second order term where you have an internal propagator. Thanks for the help.

Good. I almost mentioned that in my post because the diagrams I described are clearly of order (v_3)^2 so they are of second order in the coupling constant but teh diagrams are still tree level. So I almost mentioned the fact that the v_4 contribution and the v_3 contributions were of different order in the coupling constant expansion. But I decided to wait and hear back from you first.

Good for you.

1. What is the LSZ formula for calculating scattering amplitudes?

The LSZ formula, also known as the Lehmann-Symanzik-Zimmermann formula, is a mathematical formula used in quantum field theory to calculate scattering amplitudes. It relates the scattering amplitude to the time-ordered correlation function of the interacting quantum fields.

2. How is the LSZ formula used in 2-2 scattering amplitudes?

In the case of 2-2 scattering, the LSZ formula is used to calculate the scattering amplitude by expressing it in terms of the time-ordered correlation function of the interacting fields. This involves integrating over all possible momenta of the incoming and outgoing particles.

3. What is the significance of the LSZ formula in quantum field theory?

The LSZ formula is a key tool in quantum field theory as it allows for the calculation of scattering amplitudes, which are important in understanding the interactions between particles in quantum systems. It also enables the computation of cross-sections, decay rates, and other physical quantities that are crucial for predicting and interpreting experimental results.

4. How do you derive the LSZ formula for 2-2 scattering amplitudes?

The LSZ formula can be derived from the quantum field theory Lagrangian by using the Feynman rules. This involves taking the Fourier transform of the time-ordered correlation function and then applying the Feynman propagator and vertex factors. The resulting expression is the LSZ formula for 2-2 scattering amplitudes.

5. What are the limitations of the LSZ formula for 2-2 scattering amplitudes?

While the LSZ formula is a powerful tool in quantum field theory, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the interactions between particles are weak and that the particles are asymptotically free. Additionally, it cannot be used for non-relativistic systems or systems that involve bound states.