1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LT Spice - Bridge Rectifier

1. Dec 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am to build a linear power supply in four stages. However, at stage two, i have to add a bridge rectifier to the ouput of my transformer. My lecturer at university says i should get a graph that is a sine wave, with the negative values reflected into the positive x axis (Volatage). I was wondering were am i going wrong?

2. The attempt at a solution

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2
    You need to plot the difference between rectifidp and rectifidn. Or, alternatively, plot the voltage across your load resistor, R5.
  4. Dec 10, 2008 #3
    Yeah, had a suspicion it might have been that, but it took me a while to work out how to enter an expression. Only started using the program a few days ago, so i'm still getting used to it.

Many thanks for your help.
  5. Dec 10, 2008 #4
    I've got another problem. For a full wave bridge, with a capacitive filter, we are told the following relationship between Vdc [V(Regout)-V(Rectifidn)] and Vac [V(Secondary)]:

Vdc = 1.41 x Vac

However, i'm obtaining the following results:

I'm just wondering if i have the wrong formula, or taking incorrect readings?

6. Dec 10, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A couple of things to keep in mind here:

That formula uses the rms voltage, not the amplitude, for Vac.

Also, it does not account for the 2 diode drops in the rectifier voltage.
  7. Dec 10, 2008 #6
    Ah, forgot about rms. Thanks.

That equation was given a bridge rectifier (4 diodes) with a capacitor and load resistor, but exluding the regulator. So i assume to calculate Vac, if i want Vdc of 5, i simply calculate 5+the voltage acrross the regultor, all divided by 1.41.
  8. Dec 11, 2008 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can check that on your Spice circuit, "transformer1 stage 5".

If you plot

V(rectifidp) - V(rectifidn) ​
    V(secondary) ​

you can see if the regulator input voltage equals the amplitude of the transformer secondary.
  9. Dec 11, 2008 #8
    Yeah, thanks for your help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?