LU Factorization Homework Solution

• Thread starter BubblesAreUs
  • Start date
In summary: I would go about it differently. I would show that if there were an LU decomposition, then the determinant of A would be zero.I could not follow the argument you presented. I would go about it differently. I would show that if there were an LU decomposition, then the determinant of A would be zero.In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that a given matrix A does not have an LU factorization, and how to rearrange the matrix rows to make it evident that it does have an LU factorization. The first part of the conversation involves finding a sub-matrix with a determinant of zero, while the second part involves rearranging the rows to make the matrix lower triangular and show that it can be factored into L and
BubblesAreUs

Homework Statement

Let

A =

4 -4 -1
4 -4 0
4 0 0

Use the criterion from the lectures to show that A does not have an LU factorisation such that A = LU with lower and upper triangular matrices L and U.

How can you re-arrange the matrix rows such that it is evident without much computation that the permuted matrix does have an LU factorisation.

Homework Equations

A = LU

L =
I11 0 0
I21 I22 0
I31 I32 I33

U =
U11 U12 U13
0 U22 U22
0 0 U33

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part 1, but taking a 2x2 sub-matrix and showing that its determinant is zero. [-4 0 ; 0 0] ----> det =0

The second part where I have to show that A has an LU factorisation, I merely took A = LU and expanded upon that...

4 -4 -1 = I11 0 0 U11 U12 U13
4 -4 0 I21 I22 0 x 0 U22 U23
4 0 0 I31 I32 I32 0 0 U33

= I11U11 I11U12 U13
I21U11 I21U12 + I22U22 I21U13 + U22
I21U11 I31U12 + I32U22 I31U13 + I32U23 + U33

Let I11 = I22 = I33 = 1

= U11 I11U12 U13
I21U11 I21U13 + U22 I21U13 + U22
I31U11 I31U12 + I32U22 I31U13 + I32U23 + I33U33

Substituting the values of A into the LU, we get

=
U11 = 4 I11U12 = -4 U13 = -1
I21U11 = 4 I21U13 + U22 = -4 I21U13 + U22 = 0
I31U11 = 4 I31U12 + I32U22 = 0 I31U13 + I32U23 + I33U33 = 0

Now at this form, it's becoming obvious that row 1 and row 3 needs to be swapped. There is a single pivot on the left-most side of the third row, and that'll allow for an LU factorisation. Unfortunately, I can't really rationalise my position outside of that...

Physics news on Phys.org
The second part asks how you can rearrange the matrix rows to make it clear.
You have found that you need to swap rows 1 and 3, looking at the original matrix, does that make sense?
##A= \begin{bmatrix} 4&-4&-1\\4&-4&0\\4&0&0\end{bmatrix}, \hat A = \begin{bmatrix} 4&0&0\\4&-4&0\\4&-4&-1\end{bmatrix},##
By making that switch, you have made A into a lower triangular matrix from the outset. Your U in this case would just be the identity.

RUber said:
The second part asks how you can rearrange the matrix rows to make it clear.
You have found that you need to swap rows 1 and 3, looking at the original matrix, does that make sense?
##A= \begin{bmatrix} 4&-4&-1\\4&-4&0\\4&0&0\end{bmatrix}, \hat A = \begin{bmatrix} 4&0&0\\4&-4&0\\4&-4&-1\end{bmatrix},##
By making that switch, you have made A into a lower triangular matrix from the outset. Your U in this case would just be the identity.
Yes, I get that. It seems like the rest of the stuff I did earlier is probably not required.

Thanks RUber!

BubblesAreUs said:
Yes, I get that. It seems like the rest of the stuff I did earlier is probably not required.

Actually, it MAY be required. What you have shown so far is that if you permute the rows there is, indeed, an LU factorization. The first part asks you to show the opposite: if you do not change the matrix (eg., do not permute the rows) there is no LU decomposition. That seems much harder.

Ray Vickson said:
Actually, it MAY be required. What you have shown so far is that if you permute the rows there is, indeed, an LU factorization. The first part asks you to show the opposite: if you do not change the matrix (eg., do not permute the rows) there is no LU decomposition. That seems much harder.
Yes, for the first part, I essentially grabbed a sub-matrix and showed that its determinant is zero. To go any further than that would probably be quite tricky.

Thanks Ray

BubblesAreUs said:
Yes, for the first part, I essentially grabbed a sub-matrix and showed that its determinant is zero. To go any further than that would probably be quite tricky.

Thanks Ray

I could not follow the argument you presented.

1. What is LU Factorization and why is it important?

LU Factorization is a numerical method used to decompose a matrix into two triangular matrices L and U, such that A = LU. It is important because it allows us to solve linear systems of equations efficiently, as well as perform other matrix operations such as finding determinants and inverses.

2. How do I perform LU Factorization on a matrix?

To perform LU Factorization, you can use Gaussian elimination with partial pivoting. This involves using row operations to convert the original matrix into an upper triangular matrix, while keeping track of the row operations used to create an invertible lower triangular matrix. The result is a decomposition of the original matrix into L and U.

3. Can LU Factorization fail?

Yes, LU Factorization can fail if the matrix A is singular (has no inverse) or if the matrix has a zero pivot during Gaussian elimination. In these cases, the decomposition cannot be performed and an error will occur.

4. How can I use LU Factorization to solve a linear system of equations?

Once you have decomposed the matrix A into L and U, you can use forward and backward substitution to solve the system Ax = b. First, solve Ly = b for y using forward substitution, and then solve Ux = y for x using backward substitution.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using LU Factorization?

One disadvantage of LU Factorization is that it can be computationally expensive for large matrices. In addition, if the matrix A is ill-conditioned (close to singular), the resulting solutions may be highly sensitive to small changes in the matrix entries, leading to inaccurate results.