1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lucas-Lehmer Test

1. Oct 13, 2004 #1

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm trying to come up with a program that works out Mersenne prime numbers, I've successfully managed to get one to work that brute force attacks the problem and gets me up to 2^2281 - 1 as about the highest prime I can get with the computer still running fine.

I've been reading up and it seems one of the best ways is to use the Lucas-Lehmer Test (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Lucas-LehmerTest.html) however I am fairly new to matlab and don't quite seem to get it to work. Could anyone give me some points where I am going wrong please.

(Below is code I have used to test if 2^p - 1 is prime or not)
    (z records the biggest value of p such that 2^p - 1 is prime)
    Code (Text):

p=sym(2)

for p=2:100
        if issymprime(p)==sym('true')
            s = 4
            for s=4:(p-2)
                s = mod(s^2 - 2,2^p -1)
            end
            if s==mod(0,2^p-1)
                z=p
            end
        end
    end

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2004 #2

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

O.K just noticed a huge mistake in my programming, but can I leave the thread here for a sec in case it is still horribly wrong?

4. Oct 13, 2004 #3

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Really sorry for the triple post but I've got it to work with a slight problem:

Code (Text):

p=sym(2)

for p=2:40
        if issymprime(p)==sym('true')
            s = 1
            r = 4
            for s=1:(p-2)
                r = mod(r^2 - 2,2^p -1)
            end
            if r==mod(0,2^p-1)
                z=p
            end
        end
    end

That works, up to about 2^19 - 1, however after that it doesn't seem to pick anymore Mersenne prime numbers up. Could someone tell me what to do please.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  5. Oct 14, 2004 #4

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi, I think your problem is with how matlab stores data, it uses double precision variables, which are 64-bits and accurate to 15 decimal places or so. When computing your r's for p=31, at one stage you calculate 1416317953^2-2, which has 18 digits, before reducing mod 2^31-1. This is where your program bites it.

You can probably have it compute 1416317953^2-2 in pieces, reducing mod 2^31-1 each time. There is also an integer type, but I believe it only goes to 32 bits, not enough for you.

I don't have much experience with large integer operations in matlab, so I don't know if there's a clever way around this. On the other hand, Maple is quite capable of handling things like this.

6. Oct 15, 2004 #5

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks, I thought that was my problem and managed to come up with a maple solution. My lecturer has already made some functions for us that can handle symbolic input including a round() function which seems to work great and does so by using a couple of maple functions :smile:

Anyway it isn't quite as fast as I hoped but I can probably change that over time when I get to know matlab a bit better.

7. Oct 15, 2004 #6
    Look at GIMPS

Hi,
    You should have a look at the GIMPS project: http://www.mersenne.org/ .
    You'll find useful information and a very fast program on ia32/Windows machines.
    You could also use the GLucas program for Unix machines. It is multi-threaded.
    About the theory, look at Ribenboim's book: "The little book of bigger primes" or at Williams' book: "Edouard Lucas and Primality Testing".
    Does Mathlab use FFT for multiplying big numbers ?
    Regards,
    Tony

8. Oct 15, 2004 #7

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks, with time I could work a much faster algorithm but I had to submit what I had today.

Unfortunatly I have little understanding of how MatLab works at the moment, but I will look in to it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?