Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Lucid Dreaming

1. Aug 19, 2003 #1
    What is the technique behind lucid dreaming, and how difficult is it to accomplish?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2003 #2
    i didn't even know what it was until recently, but i accidently do it all the time. therefore, it's pretty easy to do i guess. it's mostly just realizing that your dreaming when you dream. it helps when you can remember dreams easily and also if you have an active imagination. i usually end up having lucid dreams so often cause i create such unrealistic senarios in my mind that i know they're not real, so i know i'm dreaming. you can search online for like real techniques if you want, or get a book or something. but i really don't think it's too hard unless you're trying to experience something real particular.

hmm

4. Aug 19, 2003 #3
    I've always wanted to fly in my dreams. My friend said he did it one time, but he couldn't hold the image long enough so he always fell.

Apparently it's hard to fly.

5. Aug 19, 2003 #4
    it's hard if you can't believe that you can sure. i have a tenedency to believe anything's possible so i guess that's why it;s easy enough for me. you just really really have to believe you can do it.

6. Aug 19, 2003 #5
    Lucid dreams is definitely one of the weidest phenomenas out there.

Basically...in one's dream one is fully conscious that one is dreaming but dreams anyways.

So basically it is like you are in this state where you are "awake" but "dreaming" in a sense.

I had a lucid dream once. Here is the scenario. I dreamt that I while I was talking to my friend casually in my dorm. He started walking up to me until he was right in front of me, turned his head around, and when he turned it back around his eyes had turned "devilish." He came face to face with me with those eyes and just stared at me for a while. Of course, deep inside I was absolutely terrified. It is one of those feelings where you feel so frightened that chills run up your spine, you kind of get this feeling like you are about to float, and depersonalized in a sense. And yet, I knew it was a dream and even said this to myself as he was approaching me.

It is almost like you are placed in a movie.

7. Aug 23, 2003 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Been there done that. This is really cool!

All that I did was to concentrate on "becoming aware" of dreaming while dreaming. I just kept thinking to myself that I would become conscious of any dream. I did this each night until I fell asleep. It only took about a week I think; then one night during a dream, I realized that it WAS a dream. I chose to fly out the window. I then flew all over the city. It was a very cool experience. It is also one of those dreams that cannot be forgotten.

I was just thinking of this recently. I need to do this again.

8. Aug 23, 2003 #7
    Wicked! thanks!

I'm gonna try this tonight.

9. Aug 23, 2003 #8
    Are you kidding? I always just flap my arms ... it always seems to work. I'm not even kidding, I've been having dreams like that as longs as I can remember.

10. Aug 23, 2003 #9
    There's a special name for this? I've been doing for as long as I can remember having dreams. It uusally happens after something I don't want to happen occurs, so I 'wake up' in the dream and do something to change it. Then you're pretty much free to do what you like in the dream world.

I've never tried really concentrating to do it. Maybe I ought to sometime. I can't do the flying thing like Ivan. For me it's just wandering around as in ordinary life. I need more imagination. Anybody got a deep psychological explanation about lucid dreams? lol.

11. Aug 23, 2003 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From what I understand, most people are not usually aware that they are dreaming. I have never heard of this being a natural ability. Very interesting...are you saying [lonewolf and Joy] that you are often aware that you are dreaming; and that you can control your dreams?

12. Aug 23, 2003 #11
    Yeah, I do it quite a lot. It depends on my state of mind. I do it most when I'm stressed about something. I've never intentionally done it, however. I can't do anything too unusual in them.

13. Aug 23, 2003 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In a true lucid dream, you should be fully aware that your are dreaming; and you should have total control over your dream. In my experience this was the case. The funny thing was that in the dream, I didn't think to do the same things that I might think of while awake. For example, why I chose to fly out the window [of the monorail] and then around the city, instead of choosing to be attacked by ten naked women, is to this day a mystery to me. It was like I had control of the dream but not my own thoughts. Very strange...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2003
  14. Aug 23, 2003 #13
    Yeah, I'm completely aware that it's a dream. Weird stuff happens, but I just deal with it without super-powers or anything like that.

The most recent one was when I got bit by a snake, then I 'woke up' in the dream, and killed off the snake. I went to see my Grandad after that, and asked him if he had any treatment for the snakebite. He gave me this weird ointment, but it worked anyway. I then left his house and went walking around the streets outside his house, which weren't as they really are. I woke up not long after that.

I usually only remember the dreams where I've had some conscious effect on them. I have the same as you, I think. It's like you can do whatever you like, but you can't alter your surroundings.

15. Aug 24, 2003 #14
    I'm not always aware of the fact that I'm dreaming. I think most of the time a lot of my dreams are similar enough or recurring so I can tell that I'm dreaming. There's always tell-tale signs for me like when I try to move my limbs don't respond or are very weak.

Of course this doesn't always mean I can act on it. Sometimes even when I can tell I'm dreaming I usually just go with the flow, unless I really want something out of my dream. However even when I'm not aware that I'm dreaming I can make decisions that interact with and decide events in my dream.

In my experience it takes two things to really take control of your dreams, you need to be able to recognise the signs and become aware of your dream. Then you need to want something bad enough to change your dream. So at first if you realise you are dreaming, try to interact with your dream in ways that you want to. Then when you have a little more practise I'm sure you could control just about every aspect of your dream.

I know when I was a child I had certain recurring nightmares which stopped when I became aware* of the situation and confronted my fears in my dream.
    *(Not really aware that I was dreaming but aware that I could affect what was going on in my head.)

16. Aug 24, 2003 #15
    I've also had lucid dreams...at least once a night for as long as I can remember. Having the control to "press pause" in a dream and change it or rewind a bit and then continue at will is something that I've always done if I start to have a nightmare or if the dreams is really really good. It's sooo great to be able to do. However, if you manipulate your dreams too often it can be damaging since your dreams are the main outlet for the human subconscious.

17. Sep 4, 2003 #16
    At some point in our advancement of technology might it be possible to put someone directly in a lucid dream state? Could this then open boundless opportunties to experience things. For example, in the movie "strange days"?

18. Sep 4, 2003 #17

Tsu

Gold Member

Yes, but you're not a permanent resident of the ozone layer like Ivan is.

19. Sep 4, 2003 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey am I gonna have to whoop you again Tsunami?

20. Sep 4, 2003 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The ultimate in Virtual Reality!

21. Sep 4, 2003 #20
    Lucid dreaming? I'd be happy if
    someone could explain how to be
    lucid when awake.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?