Lucid dreams are dreams in which you know you are dreaming. You then

• Thread starter I_am_learning
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dreams
In summary: I am lucid I can control my dream, and when I'm not lucid I can't usually control my dream. @In summary, lucid dreaming is a dream in which you know you are dreaming. You then can modify the dreams to your own liking.

Have you had lucid dreams?

• I don't even remember dreams

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't dream.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I_am_learning
Lucid dreams are dreams in which you know you are dreaming. You then can modify the dreams to your own like. For example, in one of my dreams, I suddenly realized that I was dreaming. Then taking advantage of it I boasted to my friends --"Look guys, I will show you something amazing". Then I amazed them by flying. (In lucid dream you can esily do what you like). Then I heard them saying jeleusly to each other --"This stupid is having lucid dreams and now he can fly. Poor us that we aren't dreaming"

Having lucid dream is like playing a full 3d full hd full quality highly real video game. So real that sometimes you even forget you are dreaming.

So, how many of you have had such experience

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't know how or why, but as a kid I lucid dreamed a LOT, then over time lost the knack. Given some practice I have it again, but it's more work than it ever was as a kid.

It's fun, an I find it's also an interesting way to power some creative writing and thinking, which works well for a guy like me who has a bit of a stick up his tush.

nismaratwork said:
I don't know how or why, but as a kid I lucid dreamed a LOT, then over time lost the knack. Given some practice I have it again, but it's more work than it ever was as a kid.

It's fun, an I find it's also an interesting way to power some creative writing and thinking, which works well for a guy like me who has a bit of a stick up his tush.

As a kid I dreamed a lot. I've had about 3 lucid dreams.
Nowadays it's rare for me to dream at all, let alone lucid.

I like Serena said:
As a kid I dreamed a lot. I've had about 3 lucid dreams.
Nowadays it's rare for me to dream at all, let alone lucid.

Hmmm... it does seem that lucid dreaming, where it occurs, is most commonly spontaneous in childhood.

I have no idea why, only so many guesses as to... have no idea why. :redface:

Still, you do dream, or you'd be raving now... not remembering having dreamed is quite normal however.

nismaratwork said:
Hmmm... it does seem that lucid dreaming, where it occurs, is most commonly spontaneous in childhood.

I have no idea why, only so many guesses as to... have no idea why. :redface:

Still, you do dream, or you'd be raving now... not remembering having dreamed is quite normal however.

In my experience I dream when there is emotional stuff or new impressions I have to process.
With little emotional stuff and with few new impressions I do not dream much.

Most of the time when I realize that I am dreaming my body automatically wakes up pretty quickly. I wish I could stay asleep longer.

DR13 said:
Most of the time when I realize that I am dreaming my body automatically wakes up pretty quickly. I wish I could stay asleep longer.

Yep, that's what I remember from my lucid dreams.
The time between realizing I was dreaming, influencing my dream, and waking up was too short!

I concluded that being able to realize I was dreaming, basically meant I was already almost awake.

When I was younger, I managed to get a few lucid dreams by deliberately trying to induce them. During the day, I would periodically hold my nose and see if I could still breathe, or count the number of fingers on my hands. I've no idea why, but these simple tests invariably failed during dreams.

DR13 said:
Most of the time when I realize that I am dreaming my body automatically wakes up pretty quickly.

Me too. I get a strange feeling, it clicks I'm dreaming and then I jolt awake.

ideasrule said:
When I was younger, I managed to get a few lucid dreams by deliberately trying to induce them. During the day, I would periodically hold my nose and see if I could still breathe, or count the number of fingers on my hands. I've no idea why, but these simple tests invariably failed during dreams.

It's called reality testing, and it's just one of those things. It's hard to keep track of numbers, and you don't breath in dreams. A classic test is to look at your watch or a clock (it will often be nonsensicle) look away, and look back... it will usually change. Text on a page will usually be gibberish too, or not even words, or change upon loss of direct attention.

It's that attentional issue at the core of reality testing in dreasm, because lucid or not, you ARE asleep, and that imposes a new set of restrictions and freedoms in terms of your thinking. Dreams are far more fluid than we tend to recognize even in dreams, but it's not strange because... we're dreaming.

@ILS: I've expereinced the same around emotions, but also if I've been working on a problem, or even struggling with something like a videogame... I tend to go through it in some fashion.

This fits with the learning/maintenance/repair theories of sleep.

@DR13: It's no guarantee, but Serena is not far off; being aware without the knack or a lot of practice is tough, and often wakes you right up.

One old trick is to set your alarm for roughly 5 hours after you go to sleep. Wake up, but don't do anything, and rapidly try to go back to sleep while focusing on your awareness. sleep cycles come more rapidly, and last for less time the longer you've been sleeping, so you can jump back into REM pretty quickly, maintaining awareness all the while.

One thing... it can be disturbing, because on the way you WILL experience hypnogogic hallucination, but then it can be fun too. If you find yourself waking in the dream, try changing the scenary or just spinning about in a circle. I haven't the faintest as to why, but it often works.

There are many ways you can induce this kind of sleep - just search Google. I have a friend who says she can do it whenever she wants.

Personally, I've never taken an effort to TRY to lucid dream, but it happens every couple of months or so. The last one I had was last week; it was incredible.

jarednjames said:

Abreaction... more common than not buddy, you just have to practice, fine tune, and practice. I've found it often takes months, but the payoff is HUGE.

nismaratwork said:
Abreaction... more common than not buddy, you just have to practice, fine tune, and practice. I've found it often takes months, but the payoff is HUGE.

When your dreams usually revolve around the films you watch (generally something relating to zombies, war etc), I can't think of a better reaction than to wake up.

thehacker3 said:
There are many ways you can induce this kind of sleep - just search Google. I have a friend who says she can do it whenever she wants.

Personally, I've never taken an effort to TRY to lucid dream, but it happens every couple of months or so. The last one I had was last week; it was incredible.

Meditation is a great way to perfect lucid dreaming, and get to sleep as you will it, but it's easier to master lucid dreaming than it is to go the entire route of some meditative form.

Still, I came to the latter through the former later in life, so... I would recommned it. Besides, it has proven health benefits in stress reduction, and real-world applications in anxious, frightening, or otherwise difficult times requiring calm and a clear head.

jarednjames said:

I had that too at first.
Then I tried to train myself not to respond too sudden to any feeling that something was wrong, but to remain relaxed at all times and see what I could do.
It worked a couple of times.
I think I learned never to panic.

jarednjames said:
When your dreams usually revolve around the films you watch (generally something relating to zombies, war etc), I can't think of a better reaction than to wake up.

:rofl:

I agree... scare me in a dream and it's not going to be lucid, it's going to be unpleasant. Still... I don't know about you, but I tend not to have nightmares. I watch something like Zombieland, or play a videogame for longer than is healthy, and I tend to loosely associate and relive pieces of it... which can be disturbing, but not that "nightmare" quality.

Do you know what I mean?...

nismaratwork said:

I agree... scare me in a dream and it's not going to be lucid, it's going to be unpleasant. Still... I don't know about you, but I tend not to have nightmares. I watch something like Zombieland, or play a videogame for longer than is healthy, and I tend to loosely associate and relive pieces of it... which can be disturbing, but not that "nightmare" quality.

Oh I have nightmares all the time, but they're the best dreams you can have. I hate all the 'normal' stuff, give me a good nightmare and I'm happy.

nismaratwork said:

I found at some point in life that scary things do not really exist, they are induced.

If something happens that makes you feel frightened, it makes you (or should make you) alert. If it's a problem, you need to solve it - not freeze and become panicked.

A scary movie is only scary because the characters in the movie act scared. This induces a feeling of fear. But once you realize that, it stops being scary.

I like Serena said:
A scary movie is only scary because the characters in the movie act scared. This induces a feeling of fear. But once you realize that, it stops being scary.

Not sure where you picked that up from, but there's a bit more to it than that. (Actually there's a lot more.)

Fear is a good thing, it promotes survival. The key is knowing when to separate things you should be scared of and things you don't need to be scared of.

Hmm Serena, I agree that fear is a signal; a warning... and being afraid is good... being paralyzed with terror as you say, is not.

Fear makes people react in odd ways sometimes... I get EXTREMELY cold and calm, usually primes for violence. Some panic, but often I find that it's fuel so that if the "alert" is valid, you're ready to fight or run.

As JnJ says however, there's more... the nucleus accumbens picks up on the "mood of crowds"... after all, you want to have more warning of a predator coming at you than just seeing it... you watch the crowd you're in. Combining tension, certain music, and yes... acting scared often induces a passing feeling of fear.

Still, this is all visceral, there is also a fear that is more like dread, a fear of something distant, and that kind of fear tends to manifest over time as anxiety; a thwarted FoF response.

jarednjames said:
Not sure where you picked that up from, but there's a bit more to it than that. (Actually there's a lot more.)

Fear is a good thing, it promotes survival. The key is knowing when to separate things you should be scared of and things you don't need to be scared of.

I think you two agreed, although as you say there is a hell of a lot more to it.

I like Serena said:
I found at some point in life that scary things do not really exist, they are induced.

If something happens that makes you feel frightened, it makes you (or should make you) alert. If it's a problem, you need to solve it - not freeze and become panicked.

Excellent insight. It's always good to know when one's actions are motivated by fear. Sometimes, it's an appropriate response. More often it is not.

jarednjames said:

I guess I need to rephrase myself.
As a kid I used to be terrified by scary movies and I would have difficulty sleeping.
Now I still feel fear, but I don't feel terrified anymore.
And usually I can quickly see and understand the reason for the fear and act accordingly.
Then I can let go of the fear and it troubles me no more.

If I watch a scary movie now, I see actors trying to make things more scary than they are. I can still appreciate a good vampire movie though. But it's more about the sense of wonder than being scared.

It's probably not necessary that the percentages calculated in the polls go out that many digits :tongue2:.

lisab said:
Excellent insight. It's always good to know when one's actions are motivated by fear. Sometimes, it's an appropriate response. More often it is not.

Thanx!
Going to sleep now (and hopefully dream) :zzz:

I had a dream that some bad uptown angel kicked my behind so hard and far that I flew right past death and was seeing death from the other side of it. Don't ask, I have no idea.

LISAB! .. hi.

Lacy33 said:
LISAB! .. hi.

:smile: hi back at you!

thecritic said:
Lucid dreams are dreams in which you know you are dreaming. You then can modify the dreams to your own like. For example, in one of my dreams, I suddenly realized that I was dreaming. Then taking advantage of it I boasted to my friends --"Look guys, I will show you something amazing". Then I amazed them by flying. (In lucid dream you can esily do what you like). Then I heard them saying jeleusly to each other --"This stupid is having lucid dreams and now he can fly. Poor us that we aren't dreaming"

Having lucid dream is like playing a full 3d full hd full quality highly real video game. So real that sometimes you even forget you are dreaming.

So, how many of you have had such experience
I have had the ability to direct my dreams since a child. As a matter of fact, that's what I called it, *directed dreaming*. If I didn't like the way a dream was going, I could stop and rewind it and make the outcome different. I always had control of my dreams. I was really surprised to find out that other people did not have this ability.

lisab said:
:smile: hi back at you!

High5 Green Forest Fairy!

When I was a little girl I saw Santa Claus by the Christmas tree. I was 5. I was a wake-ish. I was standing in the doorway to the living room looking in.

This type of experience became a regular event mostly when working the night shift. I would only half way wake up so I was still dreaming while functioning in a waking state.

There is a name for that.

I don't get many dreams but I do get lucid dreams. I don't play with my bad dreams however I love doing that with good dreams. Last night was rather a bad dream and I was bit younger in it. All my toenail was red and that made my mom well worried but not so my dad. And then my mom put a duct tape on it :smile:

Does anyone else have the ability to fly in dreams but are height challanged? I can only get about 12 feet off the ground on a good night. Sometimes my feet are dragging. Whats with this. I need to go to flying school?

Duct tape, a woman's best friend. :biggrin:

Lacy33 said:
Duct tape, a woman's best friend. :biggrin:

I left my dream at that moment wondering if we were that poor in the dream. :rofl: I didn't go back into my dream, I wasn't really enjoying it.

Lacy33 said:
Does anyone else have the ability to fly in dreams but are height challanged? I can only get about 12 feet off the ground on a good night. Sometimes my feet are dragging. Whats with this. I need to go to flying school?

I get something along those lines, when I start becoming aware it's a dream my vision becomes affected. It's like I can't open my eyes enough, but they feel open. I strain to open them, but it persists - and then the jolt wakes me up.