Lucid dreams are dreams in which you know you are dreaming. You then

• Thread starter I_am_learning
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dreams
In summary: I am lucid I can control my dream, and when I'm not lucid I can't usually control my dream. @In summary, lucid dreaming is a dream in which you know you are dreaming. You then can modify the dreams to your own liking.

Have you had lucid dreams?

• I don't even remember dreams

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't dream.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rootX said:
I left my dream at that moment wondering if we were that poor in the dream. :rofl: I didn't go back into my dream, I wasn't really enjoying it.

Nothing worse than waking from a really bad dream you don't enjoy and then ending up falling back asleep straight back into it.

Physics news on Phys.org

Lacy33 said:
Does anyone else have the ability to fly in dreams but are height challanged? I can only get about 12 feet off the ground on a good night. Sometimes my feet are dragging. Whats with this. I need to go to flying school?

Yep, I think it has to do with the limits of our ability to imagine free-flgiht.

If you parachuted, I'd bet you could get more than 12' in dreams.

Duct tape is EVERYONE's best friend... without duct tape the world would literally fall apart. I am convinced of this... or am I dreaming?

"Life is a dream..."

jarednjames said:
Nothing worse than waking from a really bad dream you don't enjoy and then ending up falling back asleep straight back into it.

Heh, Like Evo I did a "rewind" once just because of that... it is AWFUL.

I was young, I dreamed that a teddy bear was constricted and killed by a snake. I rewound, and removed the teddy bear, left the snake be.

*sigh*... life is odd.

Rewind, huh, showing your age people. Old school VHS there. I chapter skip!

jarednjames said:
Rewind, huh, showing your age people. Old school VHS there. I chapter skip!

:cry:

That hit home... remind me to send you a headstone when you turn 30. :wink:

Lacy33 said:
Does anyone else have the ability to fly in dreams but are height challanged? I can only get about 12 feet off the ground on a good night. Sometimes my feet are dragging. Whats with this. I need to go to flying school?
When I want to fly I just spread out my arms and lift off the ground, usually stay about 6 feet off the ground. I'm afraid of heights.

jarednjames said:
I get something along those lines, when I start becoming aware it's a dream my vision becomes affected. It's like I can't open my eyes enough, but they feel open. I strain to open them, but it persists - and then the jolt wakes me up.

Right, it has something to do with an awareness of what we are doing in the dream. Perhaps that mixes with our logic of it not being possible together with if I'm doing this then how am I doing this and that is usually when I start to scrape the pavement. So many times through life I wake up "KNOWING" how to fly, and it vanishes quickly. :yuck:
nasmir, your right too, it must have something to do with our current potential. What i don't know.

Evo said:
When I want to fly I just spread out my arms and lift off the ground, usually stay about 6 feet off the ground. I'm afraid of heights.

6 ft sounds right. But are you stopping yourself from going higher? Do you feel yourself going higher but you will yourself down?

Dreams are one of the few things I'll call genuinely mysterious... they are... odd, so many unlike others.

@Lacy33: Thinking of flight and rising in metaphorical terms, or am I reading too much in?

nismaratwork said:
Dreams are one of the few things I'll call genuinely mysterious... they are... odd, so many unlike others.

@Lacy33: Thinking of flight and rising in metaphorical terms, or am I reading too much in?

Yeah R. Judah Loew ben Bezalel Nasmir, your reading too much into my comments.
Warning! Shallow Comments
NO DIVING
Go make something. Good luck finding wergin clay.

Lacy33 said:
NO DIVING

:rofl:

Lacy33 said:
NO DIVING

Pffft... you know I would sooner cut off my hand than play with that clay.

@Lisab: Isn't she awesome?! :biggrin:

edit: New element to my sig, thank you Lacy!

Lacy33 said:
6 ft sounds right. But are you stopping yourself from going higher? Do you feel yourself going higher but you will yourself down?
Yeah, I don't want to go higher, I want to be able to put my feet down on the ground if something happens.

Just bring a parachute.

jhae2.718 said:
Just bring a parachute.

Actually... that might work in a dream.

I'm never in control of my dreams even if I realize I'm dreaming.

Evo said:
Yeah, I don't want to go higher, I want to be able to put my feet down on the ground if something happens.

Don't know what it means to want to be able to put your feet down if something happens. That is something deep in your thoughts. But I do know that feeling of putting arms out and lifting off.
If we are going to levitate or fly in our dreams why would we be putting our arms out? Why go horizontal? Why not just lift up off the ground vertical? Why not float up and do backwards somersaults. Does anyone do that? Anyone who deams like that is a very lucky person I think.

Besides all that. Do you ever find yourself flying and then fall sharply into a waking state. Yuck! Don't you just hate that feeling?

Lacy33 said:
Besides all that. Do you ever find yourself flying and then fall sharply into a waking state. Yuck! Don't you just hate that feeling?

I often trip over a curb and "fall awake" (we all know the feeling).

Bit specific for my liking, I'd at least like some variety.

Now, what do you think of poll result?
Whether physicsforumers are more lucid dreamers than general public Or Only lucid dreamers have enough interest to poll in a 'Dreams' thread??

Likes gracy

nismaratwork said:
@DR13: It's no guarantee, but Serena is not far off; being aware without the knack or a lot of practice is tough, and often wakes you right up.

One old trick is to set your alarm for roughly 5 hours after you go to sleep. Wake up, but don't do anything, and rapidly try to go back to sleep while focusing on your awareness. sleep cycles come more rapidly, and last for less time the longer you've been sleeping, so you can jump back into REM pretty quickly, maintaining awareness all the while.

One thing... it can be disturbing, because on the way you WILL experience hypnogogic hallucination, but then it can be fun too. If you find yourself waking in the dream, try changing the scenary or just spinning about in a circle. I haven't the faintest as to why, but it often works.

I've been trying this for the past few days and last night it finally worked! THANK YOU!

I have many of the same problems as you guys when lucid dreaming. I remember the 2nd one I've ever had I was able to fly just like superman, but that was the only time I've ever been able to do it. Other times I've come close by jumping hundreds of feet in the air, but recently I've been pretty much grounded. I'll try the parachute trick next time. Will a jetpack work too? lol

I also noticed that most of my lucid dreams are dreams within dreams. Oftentimes, the higher level dream is just me in bed, but I know it's a dream because the lighting outside is entirely different from what it would be at 5-8AM. Sometimes the dreams within dreams are just like in Inception where there's actually a few more hours in the higher level dream after waking up from the deeper one. Does anyone else experience this?

Lastly, the more I use "powers" in lucid dreams, the weaker they get over time. In fact, I realized that I am "strongest" before I realize that I am dreaming. Does anyone have any solutions to this problem?

Lucid dreaming is a waste of time. Takes a lot of time and effort keeping a dream journal and stuff like MILD, WBTB.

You can't have a cake and eat it too.

Willowz said:
Lucid dreaming is a waste of time. Takes a lot of time and effort keeping a dream journal and stuff like MILD, WBTB.

You can't have a cake and eat it too.

You don't have to keep a journal to lucid dream. I think people write down their dreams because they were so awesome that they want to keep the memory forever. At least that's why I write the occasional one down...

WBTM, MILD, and WILD are techniques that help you lucid dream and they cost you MAYBE 20 minutes of your day. In exchange for being a GOD for a couple of hours, it's a small price to pay...

thehacker3 said:
You don't have to keep a journal to lucid dream. I think people write down their dreams because they were so awesome that they want to keep the memory forever. At least that's why I write the occasional one down...

WBTM, MILD, and WILD are techniques that help you lucid dream and they cost you MAYBE 20 minutes of your day. In exchange for being a GOD for a couple of hours, it's a small price to pay...
It all sounds so delusional, unrealistic, and solipsistic! Keeping memories of a dream world. Being a God for some time? Not to mention the constant RC's that have to be done (during the day) in order to maintain this "God status". :uhh: No thanks.

Willowz said:
It all sounds so delusional, unrealistic, and solipsistic! Keeping memories of a dream world. Being a God for some time? Not to mention the constant RC's that have to be done (during the day) in order to maintain this "God status". :uhh: No thanks.

I bet You don't like video games. Even if you like/play you always use cheat codes so that you become hero easily.

thecritic said:
I bet You don't like video games. Even if you like/play you always use cheat codes so that you become hero easily.
:confused:

I love the 'flying' dreams. No height limits. Sometimes I am flying an aeroplane (open top), sometimes I just take off from walking, running etc. I love getting an aerial view of tree-tops, jumping over buildings, cities, etc. :D

Real-life airplane travel is :( when compared to these. No bad side-effects (ear block, nose pain, face burn, nausea, headache ), just the wind-rushing and tummy-thrill feeling :). All the flying dreams I remember (a handful in total) are very adventurous/thrilling sort
. I don't know whether I don't have calm flight dreams or I just don't remember them.

But the frequency of the flying dreams decreased as age increased :(I love my flying dreams, solution dreams, intrinsic detail dreams, book dreams.*solution dreams - solutions to equations, debugging. I sometimes depend on these ;)
*intrinsic detail dreams - zoom in on something in nature (plants, cauliflower :D) to amazing depths. On waking, the feeling is indescribable. I will be awestruck for the whole/half day thinking about it.
*book dreams - I read pages, chapters of imaginary written stuff. lol.If I am worried about some current situation in life, I also get 'moral of current situation' dreams - on introspection, it will always be indirectly correct & very simple but still I don't like these too much & if it gets too crazy, usually some item in the dream intersects with real life and I wake up abruptly.
Sometimes I become aware that it is a dream and still continue dreaming but I don't remember manipulating the dreams while dreaming.
Sometimes I try to continue with the dream thread while exercising options but I think I am awake while doing this.And yes, sometimes I get that fall/jerk/trip abrupt return to consciousness. Though I have tried to capture what gave me that feeling , I don't think I remember how or why this happens. I find it odd but I recognise it and so don't get disturbed (I just find it very curious) and I return to sleep almost immediately. 1. How many have had out-of-body dreams where you have looked down upon yourself asleep?
2. Has anyone had a black & white dream ?
[ Someone once asked whether people dreamt in colour (which I do) and I wonder whether the opposite happens to anyone & why :? ]
3. How many experience deja-vu dilemmas?

Last edited: