Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Luciferase assay

1. Mar 11, 2005 #1
    my protocol says;

"harvest the cells by scraping for luciferase assay"

which equipment should i use to scrap my cells? won't my cells get damaged this way?

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2005 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are special plastic scrapers used in tissue culture, if you scrape carefully the cells won't damage too much. And your cells need to by lysed anyway before a luciferase assay, so depending whether you are going to do wash steps after scraping it won't matter that the cells damage.

4. Mar 11, 2005 #3
    how can i determine the luciferase concentration? should i make a standard curve using Bradford assay with BSA as the standard and measure the OD of luciferase with the luminometer? after that using the standard curve to find the concentration of my luciferase samples?

any good links of luciferase assay you know? i have searched and it is not that good.

thanks.

5. Mar 11, 2005 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have used dual luciferase assay from Promega before, you can find the protocol here http://www.promega.com/tbs/tm040/tm040.html. It works really well. For tranfection I used FuGene reagent, for difficult cell types I used electroporation by Amaxa.

You measure luciferase expression with a luminometer, relative to the expression of a thymidine kinase promotor (which has a robust expression in a wide variety of cell types), thus the name 'dual luciferase'.

6. Mar 11, 2005 #5
    how can i convert the relative light units (RLU) of luciferase into concentration? what does it mean with integration time? :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?