Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Lumbar Spinal Stenosis

1. Jun 4, 2015 #1
    MRI results shows my father has developed stenosis. The surgeon is recommending surgery, but before surgery he had asked for different tests like blood pressure, sugar and heart echo (all these conditions exist in my father). So I found another surgeon who specialize in what he calls ozone therapy. I searched internet and found that it is recent non invasive method. Can someone tell that this procedure is temporarily (like steroid injections) or permanent? Also how can I know if this is FDA approved procedure? Web searched did not gave to the point answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why can you not just ask the doc whether it is or not?

4. Jun 8, 2015 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I strongly suggest that you get your father to another doctor that does not practice "alternative" methods, take him to an MD to have the results form the MRI re-evaluated, and then see if he recommends seeing a surgeon, surgery is usually a last resort, but that is between your father and his doctor, we can in no way make recommendations for treatment other than to seek real professional medical help. Spinal stenosis is narrowing of the spinal canal and cannot be treated with ozone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_therapy

5. Jun 8, 2015 #4
    Wow.... a doctor who is performing several "sessions" a day will tell me whether this treatment is an approved or not..... This treatment is not ozone therapy it is called "ozone nucleolysis". I am actually seeing a post by Evo about her experience of "Spinal Cortisone and pain killer injections". My doctor is saying his treatment is 1000 times safer than steroid Injection! When I was probing the doctor he told me jokingly that if his procedure had any flaws, surgeon would have hanged him by now.

6. Jun 8, 2015 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

There are no valid studies of this, the only places where this is mentioned is in naturalistic and alternative blogs and unacceptable journals.

We do not deal with quackery here, it is not FDA approved or even considered valid for this type of treatment. Since we do not allow discussions of quackery, thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook