Lumbar Spinal Stenosis: Ozone Therapy & FDA Approval?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Muti
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on a recent non-invasive method called ozone therapy to treat their father's spinal stenosis. They found another surgeon who specializes in this method, but are unsure if it is a temporary or permanent solution and if it is FDA approved. The conversation also includes a discussion about the safety and effectiveness of ozone therapy.
Muti
MRI results shows my father has developed stenosis. The surgeon is recommending surgery, but before surgery he had asked for different tests like blood pressure, sugar and heart echo (all these conditions exist in my father). So I found another surgeon who specialize in what he calls ozone therapy. I searched internet and found that it is recent non invasive method. Can someone tell that this procedure is temporarily (like steroid injections) or permanent? Also how can I know if this is FDA approved procedure? Web searched did not gave to the point answer.

Biology news on Phys.org
Why can you not just ask the doc whether it is or not?

Muti said:
MRI results shows my father has developed stenosis. The surgeon is recommending surgery, but before surgery he had asked for different tests like blood pressure, sugar and heart echo (all these conditions exist in my father). So I found another surgeon who specialize in what he calls ozone therapy. I searched internet and found that it is recent non invasive method. Can someone tell that this procedure is temporarily (like steroid injections) or permanent? Also how can I know if this is FDA approved procedure? Web searched did not gave to the point answer.
I strongly suggest that you get your father to another doctor that does not practice "alternative" methods, take him to an MD to have the results form the MRI re-evaluated, and then see if he recommends seeing a surgeon, surgery is usually a last resort, but that is between your father and his doctor, we can in no way make recommendations for treatment other than to seek real professional medical help. Spinal stenosis is narrowing of the spinal canal and cannot be treated with ozone.

Ozone therapy is a form of alternative medicine treatment that purports to increase the amount of oxygen to the body through the introduction of ozone into the body. Various methods have been suggested on the method of introducing the ozone into the body, and the purported benefits of this therapy include the treatment of various diseases includingcancer, AIDS, multiple sclerosis, among others. The American Cancer Society has concluded there is not enough evidence to support the use of this treatment in any disease.

Summarizing the substantial and growing body of study results showing deleterious health effects of breathing ozone, in 1976, and reiterated in 2006, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reflects the scientific consensus that ozone is a toxic gas which has, as yet, no demonstrated safe medical application in specific, adjunctive, or preventive therapy. One possible reason, noted by the FDA, is that in order for ozone to be effective as a germicide, it must be present in a concentration far greater than can be safely tolerated by man or other animals.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_therapy

phinds said:
Why can you not just ask the doc whether it is or not?
Wow... a doctor who is performing several "sessions" a day will tell me whether this treatment is an approved or not... This treatment is not ozone therapy it is called "ozone nucleolysis". I am actually seeing a post by Evo about her experience of "Spinal Cortisone and pain killer injections". My doctor is saying his treatment is 1000 times safer than steroid Injection! When I was probing the doctor he told me jokingly that if his procedure had any flaws, surgeon would have hanged him by now.

Muti said:
Wow... a doctor who is performing several "sessions" a day will tell me whether this treatment is an approved or not... This treatment is not ozone therapy it is called "ozone nucleolysis". I am actually seeing a post by Evo about her experience of "Spinal Cortisone and pain killer injections". My doctor is saying his treatment is 1000 times safer than steroid Injection! When I was probing the doctor he told me jokingly that if his procedure had any flaws, surgeon would have hanged him by now.
There are no valid studies of this, the only places where this is mentioned is in naturalistic and alternative blogs and unacceptable journals.

We do not deal with quackery here, it is not FDA approved or even considered valid for this type of treatment. Since we do not allow discussions of quackery, thread closed.

What is lumbar spinal stenosis?

Lumbar spinal stenosis is a condition in which the spinal canal narrows and puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves, causing pain, weakness, and numbness in the lower back, buttocks, and legs.

What is ozone therapy?

Ozone therapy is a medical treatment that involves injecting ozone gas into the body to increase the amount of oxygen in the blood and stimulate the body's natural healing processes.

Can ozone therapy help with lumbar spinal stenosis?

Some studies have shown that ozone therapy can provide temporary relief from pain and improve symptoms associated with lumbar spinal stenosis. However, more research is needed to fully understand its effectiveness and potential risks.

Is ozone therapy approved by the FDA for treating lumbar spinal stenosis?

No, ozone therapy is not currently approved by the FDA for treating lumbar spinal stenosis. It is considered an experimental treatment and is not regulated by the FDA.

What are the potential risks of ozone therapy for lumbar spinal stenosis?

The potential risks of ozone therapy for lumbar spinal stenosis include infection, nerve damage, and allergic reactions. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before undergoing this treatment and to carefully consider the potential risks and benefits.