1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Luminosity and Surface Area

1. Feb 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A typical adult burns about 2500 Calories in one day.
    1)How much energy does the average human emit every second
    2)What is another term to use for expressing a “Joule per second”?
    3)From your answers to (1) and (2), you just determined the “luminosity” of the average human. If the average body temperature is 98.6℉. What is the area over which a human body emits its energy?
    4)Look up the surface area of human skin. How does your result from (3) compare to this value? Why is there a difference?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. 2500 Calories/day | 4184 Joules/1Calorie | 1day/24hrs | 1hr/60min | 1min/60sec | = 121.06 J/s

2. Watt

3. L=(5.67×〖10〗^(-8) W/(m^2 K^4 ))(A)(T^4 )

121.06W = (5.67x10^-8 W/m^2K^4)(A)(310K)^4 

A= .2312 m^2

4. average adult skin surface area = 1.8 m^2.

****If I did my math correctly....could I please have some opinions on what would create the difference in my answers in part 3 and 4? Thanks PF! I though perhaps it relates to the fact that different parts of the body radiate at different rates?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2014 #2
    For one thing, remember that when a body radiates energy, it also accepts energy from its environment.
    Also, the body may experience cooling from evaporation of water on the skin.

4. Feb 10, 2014 #3
    Attached is an example from a physics book

Attached Files:

5. Feb 18, 2014 #4
    Thank you very much for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted