1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Luminosity distance

1. Apr 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hubble's law may be written as
    H0dL = z +(1/2)(1 - q0)z2
    Working to O(z) only, what is the redshift of a galaxy at a luminosity distance of 100 Mpc
    from Earth?
    What is the role of the constant q0? Given that observations show that q0 = -0.77,
    calculate the luminosity distance (in Mpc) of a high redshift supernova with z = 0.5.

2. Relevant equations
    the first question is what O(z) might mean and second if i make the substitution ,q0 which is given later i get a quadratic equation with imaginary solutions.The second part is just a metter of calculations i suppose ,but it seems that for the first question im missing something.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2012 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

O(z) means leave out any powers of z that are higher than z, i.e., omit z^2, z^3, ...

O(z)^2 means leave out any powers of z that are higher than z^2, i.e., omit z^3, z^4, ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook