Calculating Luminosity Distances: Converting Angular Distances to Parsecs

• Thread starter Radiohannah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Luminosity
In summary, the conversation is about calculating distance in parsecs while taking into account the luminosity distance. The equation r = D_L/(1+z)^2 * theta is used, where r is the distance in parsecs, D_L is the luminosity distance, and theta is the angular distance in arcseconds between galaxies. To get D_L in parsecs, c must be in km/s and H must be in km/s per Mpc. The end result should be in parsecs or Mpc, depending on the desired units.
Radiohannah
Hey

I'm getting very muddled with my units, and would really appreciate some clarity :-)

I have angular distances between galaxies at some redshift, in arcseconds

I want to calculate the distance in parsecs, taking into account the luminosity distance.

In the equation;

[tex]r = \frac{D_{L}}{(1+z)^{2}} \theta[/tex]

I'm assuming that "r" in this will be my distance in parsecs.
"[tex]D_{L}[/tex]" will be the luminosity distance.
and...[tex] \theta[/tex] will be the angular distance (in arcseconds..?) between the galaxies.

What units would my luminosity distance have to be in, in order to calculate my "r" in parsecs?

I know that the equation for the luminosity distance is

[tex] D_{L} =(1+z)\frac{2c}{H_{0} } \frac{\Omega_{z + (\Omega - 2)[\sqrt{1+\Omega_{z}}-1]}}{\Omega^{2}(1+z)}[/tex]

Does this give the correct units for "r" to be in parsecs? I am getting so confused!

Thank you

Space news on Phys.org
To get r in parsecs, you need D in parsecs, and theta must be in radians (which is effectively unitless). I believe the r we are talking about is distance between the galaxies, not distance to the galaxies (which is already accommodated by D). To get D in parsecs, you need to use c in km/s, and H in km/s per Mpc, and then you have to convert H to km/s per pc, and your formula should show you that D ends up in parsecs. More likely, you want want r in Mpc, so then you just need D in Mpc, c in km/s, and H in km/s per Mpc-- those are standard units.

That is very clear and helpful, Thank you!

1. What is luminosity distance?

Luminosity distance is a measure of the distance between a source of light and an observer. It takes into account the actual luminosity (brightness) of the source, rather than just the apparent brightness as seen from Earth.

2. How is luminosity distance calculated?

Luminosity distance is calculated using the inverse square law, which states that the intensity of light decreases with the square of the distance from the source. It also takes into account the redshift of the source, which is a measure of how much the light has been stretched as it travels through the expanding universe.

3. What is the significance of luminosity distance in astronomy?

Luminosity distance is an important tool in cosmology, as it allows us to accurately measure the distances to objects in space. This in turn helps us understand the structure and evolution of the universe, as well as the properties of objects such as stars, galaxies, and quasars.

4. How does luminosity distance differ from other distance measures in astronomy?

Luminosity distance differs from other distance measures such as angular diameter distance and comoving distance in that it takes into account the actual brightness of the source. This is important when studying objects at different distances and in different stages of their evolution.

5. Can luminosity distance be used to measure the distance to objects outside of our own galaxy?

Yes, luminosity distance can be used to measure the distance to objects outside of our own galaxy. It is particularly useful for measuring the distance to objects at cosmological distances, such as galaxies and quasars, which are beyond the reach of more traditional methods of distance measurement.