Ever wonder what happens during a lunar eclipse?

In summary, on the east coast of the US, the lunar eclipse will not be visible, but those on the west coast will have a chance to see it. During the eclipse, the Earth's shadow will engulf the moon, causing it to appear copper colored and proving that the Earth is both flat and round like a pizza pie. There is no scientific explanation for the appearance of pepperoni on pizza. The History Channel provided information on this event, but the difference between pizza and pizza pie remains unclear. The moon is not made of cheddar cheese, but mozzarella, and has been annexed by Wisconsin. An eclipse occurs when the sun comes between the moon and the earth, causing a mental eclipse. It is important to use protection when looking
Jimmy Snyder
Being on the east coast of the US, I won't be able to see it. Those on the west coast will though. Here is how it will happen. Once in a blue moon, the Earth darts out of its orbit temporarily and blots out the sun. When that happens, you can see all of the sunsets on the Earth reflected off the surface of the moon making it copper colored. As the shadow of the Earth engulfs the moon, you can see the edge of the earth. It proves that even if the Earth is flat, it is also round. Kind of like a pizza pie. Science can't explain pepperoni. Then the Earth goes away and things return to normal. If you can call the west coast normal.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Jimmy Snyder said:
Being on the east coast of the US, I won't be able to see it. Those on the west coast will though. Here is how it will happen. Once in a blue moon, the Earth darts out of its orbit temporarily and blots out the sun. When that happens, you can see all of the sunsets on the Earth reflected off the surface of the moon making it copper colored. As the shadow of the Earth engulfs the moon, you can see the edge of the earth. It proves that even if the Earth is flat, it is also round. Kind of like a pizza pie. Science can't explain pepperoni. Then the Earth goes away and things return to normal. If you can call the west coast normal.
I read about this, but their explanation was not as clear.

Evo said:
I read about this, but their explanation was not as clear.
I got it from the History Channel.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Science can't explain pepperoni.
6370c7ae0bc45b5bc59bab47e3ada6ceecf1be83_m.jpg

Jimmy Snyder said:
I got it from the History Channel.
I see.

attachment.php?attachmentid=41772&d=1323479471.jpg

Attachments

• aliens moon eclipse 2.jpg
    aliens moon eclipse 2.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 609
Jimmy Snyder said:
I'm sure the average layman is wonderfully enlightened by this, but could you clarify something for those who want to fathom this celestial event with deeper scientific insight: what exactly is the difference between pizza and pizza pie?

zoobyshoe said:
I'm sure the average layman is wonderfully enlightened by this, but could you clarify something for those who want to fathom this celestial event with deeper scientific insight: what exactly is the difference between pizza and pizza pie?
Pizza is pizza is pizza. But when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Pizza is pizza is pizza. But when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore.
Lewis-Martin Theorem. I see.

So the Moon is made of cheddar cheese now? How did it change?

ALIENS!

Pengwuino said:
So the Moon is made of cheddar cheese now?
Mozzarella. This is why I never eat pizza outside of the Phila. / NYC area.

All this talk about eclipses reminds me of my department chairman showing us, years ago, a test he had just graded for his Descriptive Physics class. One question was about describing/explaining when an eclipse happens. I've forgotten whether it was a solar or a lunar eclipse, but it doesn't matter, because the student had answered "when the sun comes between the moon and the earth." He/she even drew a sketch showing exactly that!

Pengwuino said:
So the Moon is made of cheddar cheese now? How did it change?

Haven't you heard? It was annexed by Wisconsin.

jtbell said:
"when the sun comes between the moon and the earth."
That's a mental eclipse.

zoobyshoe said:
When you eat it for dessert, it's pizza pie - even if it's the same pizza.

jtbell said:
all this talk about eclipses reminds me of my department chairman showing us, years ago, a test he had just graded for his descriptive physics class. One question was about describing/explaining when an eclipse happens. I've forgotten whether it was a solar or a lunar eclipse, but it doesn't matter, because the student had answered "when the sun comes between the moon and the earth." he/she even drew a sketch showing exactly that!
buwahaha!

jtbell said:
All this talk about eclipses reminds me of my department chairman showing us, years ago, a test he had just graded for his Descriptive Physics class. One question was about describing/explaining when an eclipse happens. I've forgotten whether it was a solar or a lunar eclipse, but it doesn't matter, because the student had answered "when the sun comes between the moon and the earth." He/she even drew a sketch showing exactly that!

Sadface :frown:

It's coming up on time for that there eclipse to start. I went out and looks like I'll have an excellent view: a clear, cool night.

Let me repeat my warning from eclipses past. Do not, I repeat, do not look directly at the moon during an eclipse without protection. My girlfriend and I sat gazing at the moon one evening and ended up married with two kids.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Let me repeat my warning from eclipses past. Do not, I repeat, do not look directly at the moon during an eclipse without protection. My girlfriend and I sat gazing at the moon one evening and ended up married with two kids.
The only people up around here are a couple of feral cats.

The moon is past half obscured. They said it was supposed to look huge and red, but not so far.

Just a sliver left. The cats abandoned me. Cats are not interested in eclipses.

1. What is a lunar eclipse?

A lunar eclipse occurs when the Earth's shadow blocks the sun's rays from reaching the moon, causing the moon to appear dark or red in color.

2. How often do lunar eclipses happen?

On average, lunar eclipses occur about twice a year, but the exact frequency can vary. Some years may have no lunar eclipses, while others may have up to four.

3. What causes the moon to turn red during a lunar eclipse?

The red color of the moon during a lunar eclipse is caused by sunlight passing through Earth's atmosphere and bending around the Earth's edges. The Earth's atmosphere filters out the blue and green light, leaving only the red light to reach the moon.

4. Can a lunar eclipse be dangerous to watch?

No, a lunar eclipse is safe to watch with the naked eye. Unlike a solar eclipse, which can be harmful to view directly, a lunar eclipse does not require any special equipment to view safely.

5. How long does a lunar eclipse last?

The duration of a lunar eclipse can vary, but on average, it lasts about 3 hours from the beginning of the partial eclipse to the end of the partial eclipse. The total eclipse phase, where the moon is completely covered by Earth's shadow, can last up to 1 hour and 40 minutes.