Lunar Eclipse

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter NerfMonkey
  • Start date
Did anyone else catch the eclipse last night? I drug out the Dob around 9:30 and watched until 11:15 or so. It was brutally cold but totally cloudless and clear for most of the night. Saturn was right there too, at opposition I believe; so I got some good views of it too.

I took a bunch of pictures but the only ones showing the rusty color that are any good are these two:

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/4769/eclipse003pn1.jpg [Broken]
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/4986/eclipse027jc3.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Wallace
Science Advisor
Nice pics!

Last edited:
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
Why? Lunar eclipses are visible pretty much anywhere the moon is visible. It's solar eclipses that are visible over small areas.

Disregard. Thanks for the compliment.

Last edited:
Wallace
Science Advisor
Thank you.

I said nothing about it being visible in a small area. Lots of places were too cloudy to see the moon and I wanted to share some photos with the community. If you didn't care to see them or discuss the eclipse you shouldn't have opened the thread.
Sorry Nerf, this is my fault! I mentioned that the eclipse would have been only visible in your area as I confused solar and lunar eclipses in a brief brain fart. I quickly edited this away (as you can see from the times stamps) but Vanadium posted clearly without having seen the edited version. He was responding to me not you! Think first then post is the lesson I've learned here. Sorry to cause confusion!

I also saw the eclipse, but from a plane ! Almost nobody (around me at least) realized that.

I saw a plane go over while out with the telescope and wondered if those people had a good view of it. Very cool.

Wallace
Science Advisor
A good lunar eclipse is a fantastic site. I once had a first date watching a Lunar eclipse (nerdy and romantic at the same time!). I'm not sure if it was some kind of pagan omen but some years later we are now engaged :)

A good lunar eclipse is a fantastic site. I once had a first date watching a Lunar eclipse (nerdy and romantic at the same time!). I'm not sure if it was some kind of pagan omen but some years later we are now engaged :)
That is nerdy and romantic! Congrats!

Sadly, I was one of the ones who couldn't see it because of clouds all night. Very nice photos!

I photographed the eclipse a few times, and some of the pics had a red dot in the top left of the picture. At first i thought there was something wrong with the camera, then i zommed into it and saw little stripes going across it. Was that Saturn?

I photographed the eclipse a few times, and some of the pics had a red dot in the top left of the picture. At first i thought there was something wrong with the camera, then i zommed into it and saw little stripes going across it. Was that Saturn?
It might be one of the debris from the burned satellite streaking out?

Did anyone else catch the eclipse last night? I drug out the Dob around 9:30 and watched until 11:15 or so. It was brutally cold but totally cloudless and clear for most of the night. Saturn was right there too, at opposition I believe; so I got some good views of it too.

I took a bunch of pictures but the only ones showing the rusty color that are any good are these two:

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/4769/eclipse003pn1.jpg [Broken]
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/4986/eclipse027jc3.jpg [Broken]
Good pictures! I don't have a good camera (it's good enough usually) and it was kind of cloudy here, but oh well.

It's just amazing that people in so many places were all watching it at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator: