Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lusty Robots

1. Feb 3, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why does this sound like the beginning of something really scary?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2005 #2
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Figures that it'd be in The Guardian.
  4. Feb 3, 2005 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:blushing: Sorry about that. I was thinking that this was the other paper, glanced at the article, and posted a bit too quickly.

That is rather absurd. :biggrin:

5. Feb 4, 2005 #4
    Nothing sexier than the sound of metals clanking :yuck:

On a serious note, I don't see how getting robots to feel lust and reproduce is possible and practical, It's easier to just upgrade the parts and put the pieces together. Why don't they just focus on making robots more intelligent.

Kim also stated that robots will have personalities and emotions. How will he go about developing that? through a series of codes he will make them conscious beings with personalities and emotions? sounds good in paper.
  6. Feb 4, 2005 #5
    I'm all for creating a species of "Datas" from Star Trek: the Next Generation, but without the emotions, just pure rational thought. I'm not a fan of fleshy humans.
  7. Feb 6, 2005 #6
    Maybe its jsut me, but i don't want machines to have the ability to feel, reason and desire. But maybe i've watched terminator and I, robot too many times.

and Battlestar Galactica. And the Matrix. Maybe too many times.
  8. Feb 7, 2005 #7
    Robots with feelings and emotions would be interesting, but not useful enough to be worth the trouble. If we have robots that show intelligence and perform routine tasks, why do we need to give them feelings and emotions?
    Robots with feelings and emotions (Turing's view of intelligence) are feasible in theory, but less and less feasible in practice.
  9. Feb 7, 2005 #8

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

We already know what happens when you impart an entity with emotions, ambitions and the ability to fulfill them - they eliminate the competition. Sounds like a bad idea.
  10. Feb 8, 2005 #9
    Yeah, personally, i'm not looking to build myself into obsolescence.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?