Lz and L^2 are commuting operators

• Thread starter vballpro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionI'm actually not too sure how to begin this. If someone can show me an example of commuting operators that is a bit complex, that would definitely help. My professor only gave us a simple example, which is why I'm confused with this one. Thanks for your help!If [L^2,L_z]=0 (that is L^2 and L_z commute), what can you say about L^2(L_z\psi) and L_z(L^2\psi) for any wavefunction \psi?If x\partial_x ( y\partial_y ( f) ) = y\partial_y
vballpro

Homework Statement

Using the definitions of Lz and L^2, show that these two operators commute.

Homework Equations

Lz = -ih_bar * d/d(phi)
L^2 = -(h_bar)^2 {1/sin(theta) * d/d(theta) * [sin(theta) * d/d(theta)] + 1/sin^2(theta) d^2/d(phi)^2}

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm actually not too sure how to begin this. If someone can show me an example of commuting operators that is a bit complex, that would definitely help. My professor only gave us a simple example, which is why I'm confused with this one. Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex][L^2,L_z]=0[/itex] (that is L^2 and L_z commute), what can you say about [itex]L^2(L_z\psi)[/itex] and [itex]L_z(L^2\psi)[/itex] for any wavefunction [itex]\psi[/itex]?

[tex]x\partial_x[/tex] and [tex]y\partial_y[/tex] commute because
[tex]x\partial_x ( y\partial_y ( f) ) = y\partial_y ( x\partial_x (f)) [/tex] for any function f.

On the other hand, [tex]x\partial_y[/tex] does not commute with [tex]y\partial_x[/tex]

gabba, I would say that LaTeX Code: L^2(L_z\\psi) and LaTeX Code: L_z(L^2\\psi) for any wavefunction LaTeX Code: \\psi would be equivalent.

My problem is more with doing the problem. Do I do the product rule when it comes to -h_bar^2 * 1/sin(theta) * d/d(theta), or is -h_bar^2 pulled out to the front and I just take the derivative of 1/sin(theta)?

Well, -h_bar^2 is a constant isn't it...don't you always pull the constants out when taking a derivative?

Why don't you post an attempt and I'll see where you might be going wrong...

constants shouldn't matter in differentiation and keep in mind a phi partial derivative means theta is kept constant for teh dervative

might help to remember that the partial derivative cross terms are the same for continuous & differentiable functions ie

for f(u,v) then fuv = fvu

(what are the exact conditions for this to apply?)

So maybe make some assumtions about the wavefunction continuity & its derivatives etc...

this is what i have...
Lz(L^2) = ih_bar^3 * {[1/cos(theta) (sin(theta)) + (cos(theta))*1/sin(theta)] + 1/sin^2(theta)}
simplified...ih_bar^3 [sin(theta)/cos(theta) + cos(theta)/sin(theta) + 1/sin^2(theta)]

I did the exact same thing for L^2(Lz), but I realize that making a mistake for each of these will result in the same answer.

vballpro said:
this is what i have...
Lz(L^2) = ih_bar^3 * {[1/cos(theta) (sin(theta)) + (cos(theta))*1/sin(theta)] + 1/sin^2(theta)}
simplified...ih_bar^3 [sin(theta)/cos(theta) + cos(theta)/sin(theta) + 1/sin^2(theta)]

This makes no sense :confused:

[itex]L_z[/itex] and [itex]L^2[/itex] are differential operators, so their product should be as well. You should have [tex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial \phi \partial \theta}[/tex] terms in your expression for [itex]L_z(L^2)[/itex].

how do i work with 1/sin(theta)d/d(theta) * (sin(theta)d/d(theta)) part?

do you use the product rule or are they two totally different derivations?

Use the product rule!

For example,

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left[f(y)\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(g(y)\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\right)\right]=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left[f(y)g'(y)\frac{\partial}{\partial y}+f(y)g(y)\frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2}\right]=f(y)g'(y)\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x \partial y}+f(y)g(y)\frac{\partial^3}{\partial x \partial y^2}[/tex]

2nd time's a charm?
-i*(h_bar)^3 [ cos(theta)/sin(theta) * d^2/d(theta)^2 + d^3/d(theta)^3 + 1/sin^2(theta) * d^3/d^3(theta)

why is it that it's d/dx [ f(y)g'(y) d/dy + f(y)g(y)d^2/dy^2] instead of
d/dx [ f(y)g'(y) d/dy + f'(y)g(y)d^2/dy^2]? (i added in an f ' to the second part. it might be hard to tell with this font.) i thought you said product rule. could you explain?

vballpro said:
2nd time's a charm?
-i*(h_bar)^3 [ cos(theta)/sin(theta) * d^2/d(theta)^2 + d^3/d(theta)^3 + 1/sin^2(theta) * d^3/d^3(theta)

why is it that it's d/dx [ f(y)g'(y) d/dy + f(y)g(y)d^2/dy^2] instead of
d/dx [ f(y)g'(y) d/dy + f'(y)g(y)d^2/dy^2]? (i added in an f ' to the second part. it might be hard to tell with this font.) i thought you said product rule. could you explain?

Because d/dy acts only on the product g(y) d/dy...it doesn't act on f(y)-which comes before the operator.

And 2nd time is definitely not the charm...sorry::frown:...theta and phi are independent variables...but all I see is theta derivatives in your expression...what happened to the phi derivatives?

1. What does it mean for two operators to commute?

When two operators commute, it means that they can be applied in any order without changing the outcome. In other words, if operators A and B commute, then A(B) = B(A).

2. How can I determine if two operators commute?

You can determine if two operators commute by calculating their commutator, which is given by [A, B] = AB - BA. If the commutator is equal to zero, then the operators commute.

3. What is the significance of Lz and L^2 commuting?

When Lz and L^2 commute, it means that the angular momentum in the z-direction and the total angular momentum are conserved quantities in a quantum system. This has important implications in the study of rotational symmetry and quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any other operators that commute with Lz and L^2?

Yes, there are other operators that commute with Lz and L^2, such as the Hamiltonian operator and the parity operator. These operators also correspond to conserved quantities in a quantum system.

5. Can commuting operators always be measured simultaneously?

No, not all commuting operators can be measured simultaneously. This is due to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics, which states that certain pairs of physical properties cannot be simultaneously measured with arbitrary precision. However, commuting operators have simultaneous eigenstates, which can be measured simultaneously with no uncertainty.