1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

{m+1/n|n is a natural} given m a natural has M as ONLY limit point

1. Feb 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I wish to show {m+1/n|n is a natural} given m a natural has M as ONLY limit point

2. Relevant equations

Rationals dense in reals

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let M = {m+1/n|n is a natural}.
    I can easily show, by archemidean principle of Reals that m is a limit point of M. I need to show no other real y is a limit point.

I try to define a set of points K= {j| j is in M and d(j,y) <= d(k,y) for all k in M).

Essentially if I have that K is nonempty, then since 0<d(y,k) for all k in K, there is q in Q s.t. 0<q<d(y,k) for all k in K, and so a neighborhood of radius q/2 and center at y contains no points of M -> y is NOT a limit point of M.

THe problem I realized is that m is a number not in M, and so the above situation could be applied to m replacing y in the above, and that I really need to show that the d(j,y) can not be taken arbitrarily small i.e. that K is non empty for y =/= m. I am unsure on how to do this and any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?