M. Night Shaymalan: Original Filmmaker Worth Watching

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
In summary, Christopher Nolan's films are worth watching for the atmosphere. He uses Philadelphia as a backdrop in many of his films. Some of his films are better than others, but all are worth watching.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
So, I just watched Lady in the Water a second time, and... BTW I have seen all of his films and am a fan of them all... I have to say, his films deserve to make so much more money than they actually make.

It's nice to see someone who actually cares about film making. Someone who is doing something original. Its such a relief to see films that aren't based around excessive violence and sex. When one of these kind of films comes around I feel that I need to tell others about it. If you have the chance, watch his films (I especially recommend Unbreakable)

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the tip on "Lady in the Water"..I haven't seen it yet. I also enjoy his films. Have you noticed he makes, at least, a cameo appearance, in every movie he's made (though I can't say for Lady in the Water, yet). At least one movie he has a regular part, "Signs" I think it was.. In "The Village" he appears in a reflection. In "Unbreakable" I believe he was walking by with the crowd on the sidewalk. These cameo appearances are a nod to one of his favorite directors, Alfred Hitchcock. He also likes to use Philadelphia, as a backdrop.

Last edited:
The biggest criticism I heard about Lady in the Water was that he played too big a role - and an important one at that. Critics called him arrogant. Not a legitimate reason to dislike a movie, imo, so I think they were too hard on him.

I liked it.

The great thing about is films is the palpable atmosphere. There is always a slight slow motion/dreamlike edge. It's similar to David Lynch, but not so heavy handed. Regardless of the particular plot of a given film, his film are always worth watching for enjoyment of his sense of atmosphere.

Sixth Sense is his best known, but I very much enjoyed Unbreakable as well.

I like the sixth sense...Hated The Village though...

I liked The Village. I wasn't fond of Unbreakable though, and I've never seen Sixth Sense.

What is M. Night Shyamalan known for as a filmmaker?

M. Night Shyamalan is known for his unique storytelling style, often incorporating twists and turns into his films. He rose to fame with his breakout hit "The Sixth Sense" in 1999, and has since become known for his thought-provoking and suspenseful films.

What are some of the most famous films directed by M. Night Shyamalan?

Aside from "The Sixth Sense," some of M. Night Shyamalan's most famous films include "Unbreakable," "Signs," "The Village," and "Split." These films have become known for their unexpected plot twists and unique storytelling techniques.

What makes M. Night Shyamalan's films stand out from other filmmakers?

M. Night Shyamalan is known for his signature style of incorporating mystery and suspense into his films. He also often uses supernatural or supernatural elements in his stories, and is known for his creative and unexpected plot twists.

What has been the critical reception of M. Night Shyamalan's films?

M. Night Shyamalan's films have received mixed reviews from critics. While some have praised his storytelling and unique style, others have criticized his use of plot twists and character development. However, his films have gained a strong cult following and have achieved box office success.

What upcoming projects can we expect from M. Night Shyamalan?

M. Night Shyamalan has several projects in the works, including "Old" and "Servant," both of which are set to be released in 2021. He also has a TV series in development called "Stranger Things," which is based on the graphic novel of the same name.