Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

M. Night Shaymalan

1. Jan 17, 2007 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, I just watched Lady in the Water a second time, and... BTW I have seen all of his films and am a fan of them all... I have to say, his films deserve to make so much more money than they actually make.

It's nice to see someone who actually cares about film making. Someone who is doing something original. Its such a relief to see films that aren't based around excessive violence and sex. When one of these kind of films comes around I feel that I need to tell others about it. If you have the chance, watch his films (I especially recommend Unbreakable)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2007 #2

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks for the tip on "Lady in the Water"..I haven't seen it yet. I also enjoy his films. Have you noticed he makes, at least, a cameo appearance, in every movie he's made (though I can't say for Lady in the Water, yet). At least one movie he has a regular part, "Signs" I think it was.. In "The Village" he appears in a reflection. In "Unbreakable" I believe he was walking by with the crowd on the sidewalk. These cameo appearances are a nod to one of his favorite directors, Alfred Hitchcock. He also likes to use Philadelphia, as a backdrop.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  4. Jan 18, 2007 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The biggest criticism I heard about Lady in the Water was that he played too big a role - and an important one at that. Critics called him arrogant. Not a legitimate reason to dislike a movie, imo, so I think they were too hard on him.

I liked it.

5. Jan 19, 2007 #4
    The great thing about is films is the palpable atmosphere. There is always a slight slow motion/dreamlike edge. It's similar to David Lynch, but not so heavy handed. Regardless of the particular plot of a given film, his film are always worth watching for enjoyment of his sense of atmosphere.

Sixth Sense is his best known, but I very much enjoyed Unbreakable as well.

6. Jan 19, 2007 #5

JamesU

Gold Member

I like the sixth sense...Hated The Village though...

7. Jan 19, 2007 #6
    I liked The Village. I wasn't fond of Unbreakable though, and I've never seen Sixth Sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?