Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

M. Night Shyamalan

1. Oct 15, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This guy could be one of the greats, but we just watched "The Happening", and were very disappointed. The script was weak, the story dragged, it was loaded with pseudoscience babble, and I thought he went overboard with the death stuff.

I saw The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs, and I thought they all were great. Do we have any Shyamalan fans? I've heard that he had a couple of flops.

1992 Praying with Anger
    1998 Wide Awake
    1999 The Sixth Sense 6 4 2
    2000 Unbreakable
    2002 Signs
    2004 The Village 1
    2006 Lady in the Water
    2008 The Happening
    2010 The Last Airbender
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._Night_Shyamalan

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I loved Sixth Sense, but The Villiage was so bad I wanted to drink strychnine just to put myself out of my misery.

I'm not much of a movie person - it seems the stories are so shallow and usually telegraph too much. It's hard for me to do what you need to do in order to enjoy a movie: suspend disbelief.

4. Oct 15, 2008 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I liked the Sixth Sense, and I liked Unbreakable, but didn't like Signs. I haven't even heard of the other movies, so don't know anything about them.

5. Oct 15, 2008 #4
    Sixth sense was sorta scary the first time I saw it (i was 7 i think) but funny the second time. The Village was disappointing (the ending at least)...

I agree with Lisab about movies these days...Though I must recommend Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, it was great! (sorry for the brief sidetrack)

6. Oct 15, 2008 #5

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I loved the Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs. I think they will become classics.

After that, I think his films have been going down hill.

7. Oct 15, 2008 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I liked the Sixth Sense, disliked Signs, and couldn't even watch more than part of Unbreakable, and I've tried 3 times, I just kept walking off and forgetting it was on. The others I haven't even seen.

8. Oct 15, 2008 #7
    The guys movies don't change. It is a cracked out plot always ending in some absurd twist you would never expect. I like signs and sixth sense though. Note I'm not saying he is a bad director, just predictable now.

9. Oct 15, 2008 #8
    being unpredictable can get pretty predictable.

10. Oct 15, 2008 #9
    I've never particularly enjoyed any of his movies. Sixth Sense was pretty good. Unbreakable and The Village weren't bad. Those are the only ones I have seen. I don't see anything particularly special about any of them though. I've read enough 'twist endings' in books that they are generally not terribly exciting anymore, and fairly formulaic. It takes a really great writer to put twists into a story that you really don't see coming and at the same time don't simply come out of nowhere.

11. Oct 15, 2008 #10
    Sixth Sense really did have one of the best twist endings ever at the time. We've seen so many since then and have become so sick of them that looking back it doesn't seem as great as it was at the time. The only movie that did it better was probably that one with Forrest Whitaker where the girl was a guy.

12. Oct 15, 2008 #11

~christina~

Gold Member

Lady in the Water was...strange to say the least. It had a mix of comic book characters. (the weak, the strong, the wizardish person)
    The only interesting things that looked cool were the scrunts http://www.bizbash.com/content/editorial/mediafiles/e6476rectangularscrunt.jpg

When I saw the, "making of the movie," it had shown how these were made. They were actually not computer generated for the most part. For the movie, they had to create life size moving models, that would run and growl with a remote control..awesome.

13. Oct 16, 2008 #12
    I knew the story of the Sixth Sense before I watched it. :cry: But the film is definitely one of my favourites. I like the expected-the-unexpected factor (or twists) of his movies. I didn't like the way Signs ended, but it certainly ended in a way that I did not expect Shyamalan to end it. The Village was okay. Those are the movies I've seen so far.

14. Oct 16, 2008 #13
    Six Sense was his only classic. He is creative, but for whatever reason he can't seem to fully develop any of his other movies. I watched "The Happening" a few days ago and like all his other movies, it had a creative and interesting start to the plot with great atmosphere. However as the movie went on it just got goofy and boring with no real climax. At the end you just end up shrugging.

15. Oct 16, 2008 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, at first it seemed very promising as SciFi goes, but then it just died.

He writes all of this himself.

16. Oct 16, 2008 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I once heard a suggestion that he's working his way down the hits ladder.

Sixth Sense was the best of his career.
    Then Unbreakable was good.
    Then Signs was OK.
    Then The Village was terrible.

17. Oct 27, 2008 #16

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Very good point.

I would say that Signs were already weak. Otherwise seems like we all agree that Sixth Sense was his best.

18. Oct 29, 2008 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I tend to give him more credit on both Unbreakable, and Signs. Like the SS, both stories begged to be cheesy, but he managed to keep it serious. Particularly impressive was his ability to make a good film using the Unbreakable plot. I expected something more along the lines of Spider Man, but was pleasantly surprised. To me, it seems the real danger that he faced was that the movie would be boring... Like The Happening.

Signs was fun - a modern War of the Worlds. How could I not like it? :biggrin: And I think he deserves a special award for making a good Sci Fi without using any significant special effects. And it actually had a plot beyond {insert computer generated garbage here}!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  19. Oct 29, 2008 #18
    You know what can make his movies better? Watch the DVD Extras. they always point out things I hadn't realized while watching the movie.

20. Oct 29, 2008 #19
    I think that the Sixth Sense was the best twist ending I have seen, and Signs and Unbreakable were utterly rediculous.

21. Oct 30, 2008 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What was wrong with Unbreakable?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?