1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

M.S. or Second B.S.

1. May 27, 2015 #1

Cod

I have a BS in CS from a non-Abet accredited program and would like to pursue electrical engineering (specifically automotive control systems) as a career. I've searched companies/jobs I'd like to do in the future and most require an engineering degree from an Abet accredited program. Would it be more beneficial for me to go back to school for a second B.S. in EE from an Abet accredit program? Or pursue a MS from a university that has Abet accredited undergrad programs? Would a MS be okay in this situation?

Of note, finances are not a factor since I still have the GI Bill to pay for whatever I decide. I just don't want to pursue a MSEE if employers will just scoff at me since my undergrad is not Abet accredited.

Thanks for any inputs.

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2015 #2

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Will the GI Bill pay for a second undergraduate degree? I know very little about the topic, but I do know that the GI Bill has a strong emphasis on getting students in and out of school quickly. I have friends that are veterans and haven't been allowed to take electives (that were quite relevant to their major) because it was determined that they weren't necessary for their degree. I can imagine that there are some hoops to jump through for a second degree. As I said, I know very little about the GI Bill. However, if this is a question that you haven't looked into yet, it would be worth doing.

4. May 27, 2015 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ask attractive potential employers what they prefer. That is a free inquiry and they should be happy to reply.

5. May 28, 2015 #4

Cod

Yes, the GI Bill will cover a second undergrad. I confirmed this with the VA a few days ago.

I'll give this a try in the next few days.

Thanks for the input.

6. May 29, 2015 #5

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Ahh, that's excellent news.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook