Understanding M-theory and Its Implications for Dimensions and Scales

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dimensions, specifically in relation to M-theory and string theory. It is mentioned that M-theory proposes 11 dimensions, including 7 additional dimensions beyond space and time. These extra dimensions are believed to be curled tightly and have no specific characteristics. In string theory, the extra dimensions are thought to be microscopic and only affect particle behavior. The use of open and closed strings is also mentioned, with the understanding that they are more of an analogy rather than a physical representation.
narrator
Hi,

Reading up on dimensions, like the m-theory's 11 dimension model, I'm unsure what is meant by this. Does it mean 7 more dimensions beyond space and time, or does it mean something akin to 11 universes in the multiverse (ours being 1 of the 11)?

When relating this to string theory, does it perhaps have implications of scale? What I mean by this is a sequence like: multiverse > universe > planet > element > molecule > atomic particle > subatomic particle > something even smaller etc

When I hear about multiple dimensions, my lay thinking struggles to understand what exactly is meant and if science has some idea what characteristics the other dimensions might have.

A lot of what I've read seems to assume people have a handle on these questions.

(Shows like Quantum Leap and Sliders do little to disabuse the average punter.. lol)

Physics news on Phys.org
narrator said:
Reading up on dimensions, like the m-theory's 11 dimension model, I'm unsure what is meant by this. Does it mean 7 more dimensions beyond space and time

Yes. The idea is that you have 7 other directions that are curled really tightly.

When I hear about multiple dimensions, my lay thinking struggles to understand what exactly is meant and if science has some idea what characteristics the other dimensions might have.

Nothing really. In string theory, the idea is that the seven extra dimensions are all microscopic, and so you don't see them directly except in the way that they cause particles to act in the way that they do.

Thanks Twofish.. that helps a lot :)

Just now reading about open and closed strings.. How literal do I take that? I imagine they're more an analog which describes their behavior that actual physical representations.

1. What is M-theory?

M-theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to unify all the different versions of string theory into one cohesive theory. It is still a work in progress and has not been fully developed or proven.

2. How many dimensions are there in M-theory?

M-theory suggests that there are 11 dimensions, with the 4 dimensions of our observable universe (3 spatial dimensions and 1 time dimension) being just a small part of a larger 11-dimensional space.

3. What is the significance of the extra dimensions in M-theory?

The extra dimensions in M-theory are believed to be compactified, meaning they are curled up and hidden from our view. However, they play a crucial role in the fundamental structure of the universe and can help explain phenomena that cannot be explained by our current understanding of physics.

4. How is M-theory related to other theories, such as general relativity and quantum mechanics?

M-theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile the seemingly contradictory theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It incorporates elements of both theories and provides a more comprehensive understanding of the fundamental nature of the universe.

5. Is there any evidence to support M-theory?

At this time, there is no direct empirical evidence to support M-theory. However, there have been mathematical and theoretical developments that suggest its validity. Further research and experimentation are needed to fully validate M-theory.