M Theory Questions: Exploring Big Bang & Membrane Impact

In summary, m-theory proposes that the big bang was caused by the collision of two membranes, or branes, in a higher-dimensional space. This collision resulted in the rapid expansion of the universe, with energy and matter evenly distributed throughout. While there may have been small connections between the branes, they would not have had a significant impact on the overall expansion. It is unlikely that we would be able to connect with the other brane at the singularity, but with continued research, we may one day be able to explore and understand the higher-dimensional space beyond our three-dimensional world.
condorsa
Ok I am very new to all of this, so my understanding is somewhat basic. The way I understand it is that m theory supposedly explains the big bang as a point in time where 2 membranes collided and the energy caused was the start of the universe. These membranes aren't flat but rippled, so they hit at multiple locations which is why matter is placed in clumps throughout the universe. My question is if it is true that there were multiple impacts points, why wasn't there a "bang" at each of them, instead of just one big transferrence of energy in a single point?

Also, it seems that everyone thinks that these membranes, while rippled, were smooth, as in not sticky. I am wondering if the two wouldn't have possibly stuck together in points, like if you pressed 2 pieces of taffy together, and when pulled apart they may have stuck together in small spots creating kind of long string like attatchments, or maybe tunnel like. The real point of this question is, is it possible that there may be small parts still stuck to the other membrane through these stretched out attatchments, or is the only time you would really be able to connect with this membrane is at the singularity at the beginning of the big bang?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your questions regarding m-theory and the big bang. I am also constantly seeking to understand and explore the mysteries of the universe, and I am happy to share my knowledge and insights with you.

Firstly, you are correct in your understanding that m-theory proposes the collision of two membranes as the cause of the big bang. These membranes, also known as branes, are hypothesized to exist in a higher-dimensional space beyond our three-dimensional world. When two branes collide, the resulting energy creates the expansion of the universe.

To address your first question, it is important to understand that the big bang is not a single point in time, but rather a period of rapid expansion that occurred approximately 13.8 billion years ago. During this expansion, the universe was filled with extremely high energy, and it is believed that matter and energy were evenly distributed throughout the universe. This means that the impacts of the colliding branes would have been felt throughout the entire universe, not just in one specific location. Therefore, there would not have been multiple "bangs" at different points, but rather a continuous transfer of energy.

As for your second question, it is possible that the two branes may have stuck together in certain areas, creating small connections or "strings" between them. However, it is important to note that these connections would have been on a very small scale and would not have had a significant impact on the overall expansion of the universe. Additionally, as the universe continued to expand and cool, these connections would have likely been broken.

In terms of connecting with the other membrane, it is unlikely that we would be able to do so at the singularity at the beginning of the big bang. The singularity is a point of infinite density and temperature, making it impossible for us to observe or interact with. However, as our understanding of m-theory and the universe continues to evolve, we may one day be able to explore and potentially connect with other branes in the higher-dimensional space.

I hope this helps to clarify some of your questions about m-theory and the big bang. The study of the universe and its origins is a complex and ongoing process, and there is still much to be discovered and understood. But through continued research and exploration, we can continue to unravel the mysteries of our universe. Keep asking questions and seeking knowledge, and together we can continue to advance our understanding of the world around us

I must first commend you for taking an interest in M theory and the Big Bang. It is a complex and fascinating subject, and it's great to see people wanting to learn more about it.

To address your first question, the idea of multiple impact points in M theory is still a theoretical concept and has not been proven or observed. It is just one of the many proposed explanations for the Big Bang. Therefore, we cannot say for certain why there was only one big transfer of energy instead of multiple "bangs." This is an area of ongoing research and study, and we hope to gain a better understanding of it in the future.

Regarding the stickiness of the membranes, it is important to note that these are not physical membranes like we might think of in everyday life. They are theoretical constructs that represent different dimensions in space-time. Therefore, the concept of stickiness may not apply in this context. The idea of attachments or tunnels between the membranes is also a theoretical concept and has not been observed or proven.

As for the possibility of small parts still being attached to the other membrane, it is not something that has been explored in depth in M theory. The singularity at the beginning of the Big Bang is a point of immense energy and it is difficult to speculate on what may have happened at that time.

Overall, M theory is a complex and constantly evolving theory that still has many unanswered questions. While it may explain some aspects of the Big Bang, it is not the only explanation and there is still much to be discovered and understood. I encourage you to continue learning about M theory and other theories of the origin of the universe, as it is a fascinating and ever-changing field of study.

What is M Theory?

M Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of the universe. It combines elements of string theory, quantum mechanics, and general relativity to describe the behavior of all matter and energy.

How does M Theory relate to the Big Bang Theory?

M Theory proposes that the Big Bang was not a singular event, but rather one of many "bounces" between different universes. It also suggests that our universe may have originated from a higher-dimensional membrane, or "brane", that collided with another brane.

What evidence supports M Theory?

While there is currently no direct evidence for M Theory, it is consistent with many observed phenomena in physics, such as the existence of multiple dimensions and the behavior of subatomic particles. Further research and experiments are needed to fully test and validate this theory.

What are the implications of M Theory?

If M Theory is correct, it could potentially provide a unified understanding of all physical phenomena, including the behavior of the universe at the smallest and largest scales. It also opens up the possibility of parallel universes and a multiverse.

Can M Theory be proven?

As with any scientific theory, it is not possible to definitively prove or disprove M Theory. However, with continued research and advancements in technology, we may be able to gather more evidence and gain a better understanding of the universe and its fundamental nature.