Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: M1 acceleration help

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    Hi.

Could someone please help me to do part (b) of the following question? I would really appreciate any help as I am really stuck.

A boy is walking at a constant speed of 1.8 m/s along a straight road. He passes a telephone booth where his sister is making a telephone call. His sister takes 30 s to complete the call and then sets off in pursuit of the boy. She accelerates uniformly from rest at 3 m/s^2 until she is running at a speed of 9 m/s. She maintains this constant speed until she reaches her brother.

(a) On the same diagram sketch the speed-time graphs for the boy and his sister.

I did this part.

(b) Calculate the time taken by the girl to reach her brother.

Thank you.

Cathy

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What have you tried so far?

I'll give you a hint: what does the area of the speed-time graph represent?

4. Sep 23, 2007 #3
    Thanks for replying.

It represents the distance travelled.

Cathy

5. Sep 23, 2007 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So what is meant by "girl to reach her brother" ?
    Well it means that they have travelled same distance, i.e find the value of time t, when the area of girl = area of boy. Do you know how to go from lines on a graph to functions and do integration?

I have no time to draw pictures and so on, I am quite sure that you know how this works.

If not, just use the fact that the boy will have area: 1.8*t and the find the time for the girl to reach 9 m/s with the acceleration given and then just continue.

6. Sep 23, 2007 #5
    Thanks so much for your help!

Cathy

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook