1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

M1 acceleration help

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1

Could someone please help me to do part (b) of the following question? I would really appreciate any help as I am really stuck.

A boy is walking at a constant speed of 1.8 m/s along a straight road. He passes a telephone booth where his sister is making a telephone call. His sister takes 30 s to complete the call and then sets off in pursuit of the boy. She accelerates uniformly from rest at 3 m/s^2 until she is running at a speed of 9 m/s. She maintains this constant speed until she reaches her brother.

(a) On the same diagram sketch the speed-time graphs for the boy and his sister.

I did this part.

(b) Calculate the time taken by the girl to reach her brother.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What have you tried so far?

I'll give you a hint: what does the area of the speed-time graph represent?
  4. Sep 23, 2007 #3
    Thanks for replying.

It represents the distance travelled.

5. Sep 23, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So what is meant by "girl to reach her brother" ?
    Well it means that they have travelled same distance, i.e find the value of time t, when the area of girl = area of boy. Do you know how to go from lines on a graph to functions and do integration?

I have no time to draw pictures and so on, I am quite sure that you know how this works.

If not, just use the fact that the boy will have area: 1.8*t and the find the time for the girl to reach 9 m/s with the acceleration given and then just continue.
  6. Sep 23, 2007 #5
    Thanks so much for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?