1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

M1 level help

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1
    Hi.

I would really appreciate it if someone could please help me with the following M1 level kinematics question as I am really stuck.

The brakes of a train can produce a retardation of 1.7 m/s^2. If the train is travelling at 100 km/h and applies its brakes what distance does it travel before stopping?

I got that:

a = -1.7
    u = 22.8 (when converted to m/s)
    s = ?

but I do not know where to go from here.

Thank you.

Cathy

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Have you studied the different equations for displacement with constant acceleration?

4. Sep 12, 2007 #3
    Just realised that v = 0!

I have got the answer now! :smile:

Cathy

5. Sep 12, 2007 #4
    Hi.

Could someone please help me with the following question? I have no idea how to even start it.

A particle is moving along a straight line. It passes points A, B and C on the line t = 0, t = 3 s and t = 6 s respectively. If AC is 60 m and the velocity of the particle at A is 4 m/s find the acceleration of the particle (assumed uniform) and the distance AB.

Thank you.

Cathy

6. Sep 12, 2007 #5
    Break this problem into parts. You know that from A to C 60m; [tex]v_0=4m/s[/tex] and [tex] t=6s[/tex]
    so you have t, v, and displacement. Do you know of any relationship between those variables?

Casey

7. Sep 12, 2007 #6
    Thank you so much for your help. I have figured out the answers now. :smile:

Cathy

8. Sep 12, 2007 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?