Train Braking Distance Calculation

In summary, Cathy is looking for help with kinematics questions and provides some information about the problem she is stuck on. Someone suggests using equations for constant acceleration and Cathy realizes that the final velocity is 0. She then asks for help with another question and is told to break it into parts. She figures out the answers on her own.
CathyLou
Hi.

I would really appreciate it if someone could please help me with the following M1 level kinematics question as I am really stuck.

The brakes of a train can produce a retardation of 1.7 m/s^2. If the train is traveling at 100 km/h and applies its brakes what distance does it travel before stopping?

I got that:

a = -1.7
u = 22.8 (when converted to m/s)
s = ?

but I do not know where to go from here.

Thank you.

Cathy

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you studied the different equations for displacement with constant acceleration?

learningphysics said:
Have you studied the different equations for displacement with constant acceleration?

Just realized that v = 0!

I have got the answer now! :smile:

Cathy

Hi.

Could someone please help me with the following question? I have no idea how to even start it.

A particle is moving along a straight line. It passes points A, B and C on the line t = 0, t = 3 s and t = 6 s respectively. If AC is 60 m and the velocity of the particle at A is 4 m/s find the acceleration of the particle (assumed uniform) and the distance AB.

Thank you.

Cathy

Break this problem into parts. You know that from A to C 60m; [tex]v_0=4m/s[/tex] and [tex] t=6s[/tex]
so you have t, v, and displacement. Do you know of any relationship between those variables?

Casey

Thank you so much for your help. I have figured out the answers now. :smile:

Cathy

Nice.

1. What is an M1 level train brake?

An M1 level train brake is a type of braking system used on trains that is designed for high-speed operation. It consists of a combination of pneumatic and electric components, and is used to slow down or stop the train.

2. How does the M1 level train brake work?

The M1 level train brake works by using a pneumatic system to apply air pressure to the brake cylinders on each train car. This causes the brake shoes to press against the wheels, creating friction and slowing down the train. The electric components control the amount of air pressure and help to distribute it evenly throughout the train.

3. What are the advantages of using an M1 level train brake?

One of the main advantages of the M1 level train brake is its ability to provide precise and consistent braking, even at high speeds. It also allows for quicker response times and better control over the train's speed. Additionally, the electric components help to reduce wear and tear on the brake system, increasing its lifespan.

4. Are there any safety concerns with the M1 level train brake?

Like any braking system, safety is a top priority when it comes to the M1 level train brake. Regular maintenance and inspections are necessary to ensure proper functioning and to catch any potential issues before they become a safety hazard. It is also important for train operators to be properly trained in using the brake system.

5. Is the M1 level train brake used on all trains?

No, the M1 level train brake is not used on all trains. It is primarily used on high-speed trains and other trains that require precise and efficient braking. Some trains may use different types of braking systems, depending on their speed and purpose.