How to Calculate Distance Traveled with Conservation of Energy

• Thread starter joker_900
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, a particle of mass m is attached to a string which goes over a pulley at the top corner and to another particle of mass 2m (B)hanging over the side. The coefficient of friction is 0.25. When the string snaps, A experiences a net acceleration of 3.92 ms^-2 and gains 5.88 ms^-2 of energy before coming to rest.
joker_900
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK there is a slope inclined at an angle z to the horizontal, where z=arcsin0.6. There is a particle of mass m on the slope (A) attached to a string which goes over a pulley at the top corner and to another particle of mass 2m (B)hanging over the side. Coefficient of friction = 0.25.

In the first part i worked out that A accelerates up the slope at 3.92ms^-2

B descends 1m and then the string breaks. Use conservation of energy to find the total distance A moves before coming to rest.

So i thought, use v^2=u^2 + 2as to show that v^2 = 7.84 when the string breaks, and so the KE of A when the string breaks is 3.92m joules. Then as it goes 1m up the slope, it gains 5.88m joules of PE (using trigonometry). So when the string breaks A has 9.8m joules of energy.

Work done against friction = 0.25*mgcosz * x = 1.96mx joules (where x is the distance A travels up the slope after the string snaps)

So surely:

9.8m - 1.96mx = mgh (as at rest, A has only PE)
9.8m - 1.96mx = 0.6xmg
x = 1.25 metres

So total distance = 2.25 metres

But the answer is 1.5 metres!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to include the heat energy lost due to friction. Energy is force multiplied by distance. Do you see the extra term you need to put in?

EDIT -- I see that you are trying to include the frictional term (sorry I missed that in my first read). Give me a minute here...

Last edited:
I have to run to a meeting, but I'm getting a different net acceleration up the slope before the string breaks. I'm getting a number a little over g. (I could be wrong of course). Can you explain the 3 components of the net acceleration during that time?

Well, numbers are pretty good except in calculation of PE terms. Since you referenced the bottom of the slope as the "zero" PE, all heights must be referenced to that point. You made in error by choosing the difference in heights betweeen initial and final PE instead. Which would be OK if you assumed the initial PE as zero, which you did not do. Solve again for x = 0.5 meters.

1. What is M2 energy?

M2 energy is a term used in physics to refer to the total amount of energy in a system, including both kinetic and potential energy.

2. How is M2 energy measured?

M2 energy is typically measured in units of joules (J) or electron volts (eV) using various instruments such as calorimeters or spectrometers.

3. What are some examples of M2 energy?

Examples of M2 energy include the energy of a moving object, the energy stored in a stretched spring, or the energy of an electric current in a circuit.

4. How does M2 energy relate to other forms of energy?

M2 energy is a combination of both kinetic and potential energy, which are the two main forms of energy. It also encompasses thermal, electrical, and chemical energy.

5. How can M2 energy be conserved?

According to the law of conservation of energy, M2 energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but it can be transferred or converted into other forms. Therefore, M2 energy is conserved in a closed system where no energy is lost to the surroundings.