Solving OCR M2 Questions: Bullets and Equations

• Thread starter i25959341
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing some OCR M2 questions related to a bullet being fired at a position P with a given speed and angle above the horizontal. The bullet strikes a plane at point Q and there is a point O at the same level as the plane vertically below P. The conversation then discusses the equation for the trajectory and how it assumes the particle is on ground level, but the problem may involve adjustments for the greatest height reached, time returning to its original height, and range on horizontal ground. The conversation also mentions the significance of the trajectory equation and the difficulty of understanding it without a teacher. The conversation ends with a request for further explanation of the equation and its implications.
i25959341

Homework Statement

some ocr m2 questions

Homework Equations

-
P]
]
]
]
b]
]
]
]
]
O]-----------------------------------------------Q
x

A BULLETis fired at position P with speed √ag (g=9.8) at an angle z above the horizontal, where a is a constant. P is at vertical height b ablve the horizontal plane. The bullet strikes the plane at the point Q and O is the point at the level of the plane vertically below P, as shown. Letting OQ=x

x^2 tan z - 2axtan z +( x^2 -2ab) =0
show maximum value of x as z varies is √ a(a+2b) and that is archieved when Tan Z =√ a/a+2b

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What direction do you think you need to take this problem?

erm the equation look like the trajectory
the problem is these quations assumsed that the particle is on ground level, so shud i just do it that way then?? or make adjustment to the equations given like greatest height reached , time returning to its originalheight and range on horizontal ground??
y= ut +0.5gt^2

Don't assume it's on ground level.

The tricky thing about trajectory is that the angle which gives the farthest horizontal distance at any given velocity is below 45 degrees when you raise the launch platform.

It's not much more difficult to solve as if it were on the ground, though. Just account for the elevation, b.

can u explain to the trajectory equation and its signifigance and stuff cos i am doing M2 myself without a teacher so i m finding it difficult to grasp some of the important concept and implications from the equations. like how to use it and why??

1. How do I approach solving OCR M2 questions that involve bullets and equations?

First, carefully read and understand the question and its requirements. Then, break down the problem into smaller parts and identify any given information, variables, and equations that may be relevant. Draw a diagram or create a table if needed to organize the information. Finally, use your knowledge of mathematical principles and problem-solving strategies to solve the question step by step.

2. What should I do if I encounter unfamiliar equations or symbols in the OCR M2 questions?

If you encounter unfamiliar equations or symbols, do not panic. Instead, try to break down the equation into smaller parts and see if you can recognize any familiar patterns or relationships. If necessary, use your textbook or other resources to research and understand the meaning and application of the equation or symbol. Remember to always check the question requirements to ensure you are using the correct equations or symbols.

3. How important is it to show all of my working when solving OCR M2 questions with bullets and equations?

It is crucial to show all of your working when solving OCR M2 questions with bullets and equations. This allows the examiner to see your thought process and understand how you arrived at your final answer. Even if you make a mistake or get the wrong answer, you may still receive partial credit for showing your working.

4. Is it necessary to memorize all of the equations for OCR M2 questions with bullets and equations?

No, it is not necessary to memorize all of the equations for OCR M2 questions with bullets and equations. However, it is essential to have a good understanding of the fundamental equations and principles and be able to apply them to different situations. It is also helpful to have a list of important equations and symbols on hand during the exam to save time and avoid mistakes.

5. What are some tips for efficiently solving OCR M2 questions with bullets and equations?

Some tips for efficiently solving OCR M2 questions with bullets and equations include reading and understanding the question carefully, organizing the given information, using clear and concise notation, showing all of your working, and checking your answer for reasonableness. It is also helpful to practice solving similar problems beforehand to become familiar with the format and types of questions that may appear on the exam.