Why are my Mac apps crashing constantly?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a Macbook Pro user experiencing frequent crashes on their programs including MATLAB, Safari, and App Store. Suggestions were given such as running a backup, installing OS X updates, and installing antivirus software. The idea of Macs being immune to viruses was debunked and it was recommended to clean out dust and have sufficient free space on the disk. The user also mentioned restarting the machine as a potential solution and discussed the possibility of a corrupt shared library or driver causing the issue. Some users shared their experience with viruses on Macs and the importance of having a backup regime. The conversation also touched on different Mac OS versions and their stability.
member 428835
Hi PF!

In the past 24 hours programs on my Macbook Pro have been incessantly crashing. I'm running OSX Yosemite 10.10.5 (I'm waiting to update until I update MATLAB so I can run it on Sierra). So far three programs have been crashing: MATLAB, Safari, and App Store.

Any idea what to do?

I've attached a picture of the error message.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 9.23.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 9.23.57 PM.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 556
Computer science news on Phys.org
1. Run a backup to an external disk if you haven't already (in case your internal hard disk is failing).
2. Run https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18765?locale=en_US.
3. Uninstall/reinstall your antivirus software.
4. Install any available OS X updates.

Thanks! I don't have any antivirus software since I'm using a mac, but I'll do the other things.

joshmccraney said:
I don't have any antivirus software since I'm using a mac
Unfortunately this is a common misconception and the behavior you are experiencing may even be caused by malware; see this antivirus vendor's 2014 report for some interesting statistics on Mac viruses. In this case I would modify my list to show #3 as 'Install antivirus software and run a full scan'. Good luck!

Yeah, so many folks think macs are virus safe. Theyre not but in some ways better than Windows primarily because Windows is the more dominant OS.

Virus writers have been hard at work trying penetrate the Macs defenses and have had some success so get a couple of virus scanners like Sophos.

Another thing to check is reseating your memory and making sure you have sufficient free space on your disk as the OS may need to swap out a program to allow another to run.

Is the machine running hot? You could try blowing out the dust with a can of aur.

Have you searched google to see if others have had the same issue?

It seems to be working now. I haven't gotten a virus yet but I don't download anything unless it's from a professor. I also don't go to sketchy websites. Maybe restarting it was the trick? Will keep you all posted.

Likes stoomart
Yep it could be hardware or software.
As reccomended give the machine a clean of out of dust etc, reseat plugin boards.
A virus is possible but not likely, the people who make viruses don't need to attack edge users, they go for the main stream
You could try deleting internet browser and cache, odd things can happen due to that

joshmccraney said:
It seems to be working now. I haven't gotten a virus yet but I don't download anything unless it's from a professor. I also don't go to sketchy websites. Maybe restarting it was the trick? Will keep you all posted.

Viruses and malware can come from any source even a profs download. Please get a virus scanner. Your school should have something that's free to students as it protects their network in the long run.

Heat issues can cause a machine shutdown if that's what you're experiencing. Insufficient space can cause crashes too. Pick some key text from your error log and search with it you might find something that will clue into what's going on.

Cool, I'll make sure to check out what my school offers and get one. I just didn't know, so thanks for the heads up everyone!

I find it sad that so many Mac users think they are above getting a virus or malware. As (formerly) an Oxford University IT officer I used to see two or three a term. Not many in the grand scheme of things but they do exist. There is now no excuse for not having one as companies like Sophos (originally a spin-off from Oxford) produce a free version from home use.

In this case I'd restore the items back a few days from Time Machine but I don't suppose that is being run either...

joshmccraney said:
Maybe restarting it was the trick? Will keep you all posted.
That wasn't the first thing you tried? Usually if an computer is doing the same bad thing over and over again with different apps, it's due to a corrupt shared library or driver. Rebooting fixes these problems most of the time because the corruption almost invariably happens in memory, not the disk.

Likes jedishrfu
Mostly, it is software problem due to incompatibility libraries

For the record, I've used Apple Macs for 30 years and have never seen a virus. No surprise, really, as there aren't any Mac viruses in the wild.
(Definition: Computer virus - "software which is able to replicate and send copies of itself to other computers, via email or other means.")

I've seen reports of other types of malware but all of it required the user to install it. A certain amount of naïvity is required for someone to type their password in order to facilitate this. I don't have any form of "AV software" slowing down my Macs. I do, however, have a strict backup regime.

And, yes, a reboot is always the first thing to try on any computer that's "playing up".

BTW I find that "El Capitan" is the most stable Mac OS since "Snow Leopard". The jury is still out on "Sierra". I'm not prepared to risk it yet. Mavericks was bad enough!

1. Why does my Mac app keep crashing?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to a bug in the app's code, compatibility issues with your device or operating system, or insufficient memory or storage space. It is also possible that the app is not up-to-date and needs to be updated.

2. How can I prevent my Mac app from crashing?

To prevent your app from crashing, make sure you have the latest version of the app and your operating system. Also, try closing other apps or programs that may be using a lot of memory. If the app continues to crash, you can try reinstalling it or contacting the developer for support.

3. Can a virus or malware cause my Mac app to crash?

While it is possible for a virus or malware to cause your app to crash, it is rare. Macs have built-in security features that make them less vulnerable to viruses and malware. However, it is always a good idea to regularly scan your device for any potential threats.

4. Is there a way to recover unsaved work when an app crashes?

If the app crashes before you have a chance to save your work, there is a possibility that you can recover it. Some apps have an autosave feature that automatically saves your work periodically. You can also try looking for temporary files or using a data recovery tool to retrieve your unsaved work.

5. How can I report a frequent app crash to the developer?

If you experience frequent app crashes, it is important to report it to the developer. Most apps have a support or feedback option within the app itself. You can also check the app's website or contact the developer directly. Be sure to provide details about the crash, such as when it occurred and any error messages that appeared.