Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mac experts help with airport

1. Sep 18, 2005 #1
    My friend has an ibook, maybe 2-3 years old. I bought her the new airport extreme card. Tried installing it, but it seems the card isn't compatible with the ibook. How can this be? I followed the instructions, but the extreme card seems too small and the connection is different. The connection type is like a video card and the connection inside te computer is more like a pcmcia. I'm pretty pissed apple doesn't have better compatibility. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I did a search and it looks like the old ibook can only take the regular airport card (not the extreme version). There are usb wireless adapters that you can look into.

4. Sep 18, 2005 #3
    is the iBook a g4 ibook or a g3 iBook?

the AE cards only fit in the g4 models.

you will need a regular airport card for a g3 ibook which you could probably find on ebay

I do not see how it is apple's fault that they moved on in technology and an old iBook cannot use a new Airport card (which uses 802.11g, rather than 802.11b) should they retro fit all their old hardware that is out and about to be able to use the new cards?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2005
  5. Oct 2, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Oct 2, 2005 #5
    Well I did finally get an the older airport card on ebay. It's still frustrating that apple can't support something only 2-3 years old since the old airport card is now discontinued.

7. Oct 2, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

G4 models were already out 3 years ago, so those buying G3s were getting the super-cheap deal on what was already a several year-old model. The G3 iBooks are pretty much 6 year old technology now. Your friend is the first person I've heard of ordering one without the airport card factory installed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?