Mac or PC?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
All the Mathematicans in my college have a Mac...I don't know why.

I am going into Physics (or perhaps Math), should I blend in or stick with a PC?

Answers and Replies

chiro
Science Advisor

I am going into Physics (or perhaps Math), should I blend in or stick with a PC?
I don't know if it really matters, just make sure whatever you choose can run the applications that you need to run.

Some applications have a portable code base and can run on multiple platforms (Mac, Windows, Linux etc) whereas others can only run on Windows.

For other common things like web-browsing, writing documents, playing music and other stuff like that, there's apps for every platform.

Well, they probably have Macs because a)they are better b)they can afford them :)

I have a dual-boot Windows/Ubuntu computer. I haven't really noticed what the profs use, but most of us students use Windows, and the students whose parents can afford it might have a Mac. It seems that most of the CS students use Windows, but that is probably because it is a lot easier to install linux on a Windows box than on a Mac.

I would probably never, ever spend the money required to get a Mac. Why? They are WAY too expensive. My Linux does just fine. Since it is Unix based, tt has most of the capabilities of a Mac, but the OS is free. The only downside (in my opinion) is that you don't have access the Apple's amazing customer service. But, there are tons of forums online from which you can get just about any information that you need. Also, there is still some software out there that won't work on the Linux platform, but that number is shrinking, especially as everything seems to be written in Java.

So, IMO, if you are decent with computers get a Windows box (heck, get a computer that doesn't even have an OS on it, if you can) and install Linux.

Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Windows is still the big dog on the OS block. Almost any software worth running has a windows version. Windows pees on the rug and humps the furniture because it is spoiled. It has been almost exclusively targeted by a generation of hackers - and why it remains the best OS on the market.

I use Mathematica...

PC for me

Just so much better at power computing. I guess only benefits of mac are that they look very nice, and that they er, they... Yeah so they look nice. But there are lots of PCs that look nice, for example the Dell Vostro V130 if you want looks (too weak at programs for me) or if you want the works then how about ASUS ROG G73JH or G53JH. Very very nice indeed.

I guess its just a matter of opinion.

jhae2.718
Gold Member
<pedantry>
A Mac is a PC (Personal Computer) :wink:
</pedantry>

I'd go for a Windows-based laptop and dual-boot with something like Ubuntu. If you get an Intel processor, if you wanted you could always make a Hackintosh.

<pedantry>
A Mac is a PC (Personal Computer) :wink:
</pedantry>
Always gets me too.

I notice the new Windows adverts have started trying to coin the phrase "PC".
I'd go for a Windows-based laptop and dual-boot with something like Ubuntu. If you get an Intel processor, if you wanted you could always make a Hackintosh.
I'd do the same, but with one small change.

Linux only, run windows through virtual box. Mine handles it perfectly well so that's where my recommendation goes.

jhae2.718
Gold Member
Linux only, run windows through virtual box. Mine handles it perfectly well so that's where my recommendation goes.
I prefer it this way too, but I find you need to slowly ease people away from the dark side of the source.

Edit: we need a PF LUG.

Last edited:
Do you guys think Apple will do the Ipod Touch deal this year?

What iPod Touch deal?

Buy a Mac and they give you an Ipod Touch for free. I think they did it two summers ago