Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mac or windows?

What's better Windows or Mac

Poll closed Feb 29, 2008.
  1. Windows

50.0%
  2. Mac

50.0%
  1. Feb 27, 2008 #1
    Which one do you think is better?
    Personally i think windows because it is more user friendly, you can get more free ware for and it's gaming is slightly better. What do YOU think?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2008 #2
    Gaming and freeware are the only reasons I use windows. I personally dislike Vista alot. XP was pretty good. Macs are great too, but still lag in those two categories.

4. Feb 27, 2008 #3

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I hear that Windows has much better selection for games, but I don't play ((new) computer) games so that's not a factor for me. I hate the handholding and the gooey GUI of macs, so I'd vote for Windows. But of course Vista, if anything, out-Macs the macs in terms of graphical candy, so that gives Windows only a narrow lead over Macs.

The good news is that most of that can be turned off in Vista (and, I hope, in Mac OS X). But I imagine a Linux system will outdo both... my next machine will probably be my first Linux PC.

5. Feb 27, 2008 #4
    I hear what you are saying Vista certainly needs a lot of refinement currently i have XP

6. Feb 27, 2008 #5
    I made the leap to Mac two years ago, and I haven't looked back since. For the odd Windows-only application or game, I have a Windows 2000 virtual machine installed in Parallels, which is really quite amazing (even to someone who started using virtualization with VMWare on a dual-processor Pentium II machine). Some of the coolest freeware and shareware out there is Mac-only--see, for example, Bibdesk and Papers.

7. Feb 27, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For user-friendliness, I'd go with Macs over Windows. Windows gets too stubborn about doing things that I find rather unfriendly.

Other than that, I think the answers is...it depends. What do you want to do with the machine?

8. Feb 27, 2008 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moonbear's right. Both operating systems are tools, and both solve different problems in different ways. Some peoples' needs are better served by Windows, while others are better off with MacOS.

- Warren

9. Feb 27, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And just to show I've been hanging around here too long, some are served best by Linux. :biggrin:

10. Feb 27, 2008 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All PF users are, for PF runs on a Linux machine. :smile:

- Warren

11. Feb 27, 2008 #10
    Mac or windows?

Don't you mean OSX/UNIX or Windows?

12. Feb 27, 2008 #11

turbo

Gold Member

I'm running XP SP2 on a pretty potent (for a 2-year-old) Dell box and I'm happy. I have used both Dos/Windows machines and Apple gear for years and was a network administrator for a very large medical practice in which one of the senior partners was such a die-hard Apple fan that I could not get him converted, so I had to live with his peculiarities. A really big wrinkle was that the practice-management software ran on DOS and the server had to run an old version of Novell that was quite hostile to Windows machines. Add to that the fact that the practice had 5 satellite locations of various sizes networked on dedicated phone lines and you can see the potential for problems. My next job entailed maintaining a network in a graphics-intensive business in which the graphics machines were Macs and all the other machines were Windows boxes.

I've logged a lot of time on machines of both types, and I much prefer the DOS/Windows OS. The major problem with Windows is legacy code. Microsoft had has always tried to make its newest OS backwardly-compatible with previous versions, and while that saves the users a lot of money (don't have to buy new application software) that compatibility comes with a price (OS bloat, slower performance). When a previous employer upgraded the computers of all field technical consultants to MacBooks, they had to upgrade all of our application software as well, because the new OS wouldn't run the old apps. At that same time, I could run any of my old DOS apps (like my precious WordStar) on my Windows machine at home, and they would absolutely scream!

13. Feb 27, 2008 #12
    ANYTHING is better than :yuck: windows!

But I prefer Unix/Linux... :smile:

14. Feb 29, 2008 #13
    why do you list only mac OSX and windows (all versions?) as options?

I mainly use Ubuntu, but if a game which is worth my time comes along (which happens about once a year) - I use windows XP.

for me, there is no reason to use mac OSX, although it's elegant, and well designed - it doesn't offer me anything i can't do with my linux system, and I hate apple's terms of use.

15. Feb 29, 2008 #14
    One of my buddies comp just sh** Vista, or vice versa. Anyways, I gave him an Ubuntu live cd, and hes truckin' like the dooda man.

16. Mar 1, 2008 #15

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Unix based systems run most engineering software a lot faster.

CS

17. Mar 10, 2008 #16
    Linux. Slackware is the bomb.

18. Apr 3, 2008 #17
    i think windows is the worst. because nearly, all viruses are developed for windows based because alot of people use it . so windows is not more safety than the others.

19. Apr 3, 2008 #18
    Depends on what you do I guess.

I use Leopard (OS X) on my Mac pretty much more often than I use Windows XP on the same system (dual booting them on my Intel Mac).

I mainly use Windows just for gaming but most of the work I have to do can be done on my Mac.

Personally, I think both have their pros and cons. I've used Windows since pre-1995 and never really had "security issues" with it as far as home-use. Just watch what you bring into your computer and you should be fine. Now, in terms of hackability, no clue.

However, in terms of user-interface and functionality, I like OS X better than Windows. Even simple renaming of files and installation of files are easy. It probably wouldn't matter much to someone who really knows how to use a computer, but for sure for someone just trying to start on their first OS (not my scenario obviously), I'm sure it'd be easier using a Mac nowadays than Windows IMO.

20. Apr 4, 2008 #19
    Would anyone use Windows if given the choice between a Mac OS and Windows? The only reason I use Windows is because Macs are not compatible with a lot of software, particularly games. Otherwise I would have no hesitation in using Linux or anything but Windows. It's like having the choice between IE7.0 or Firefox 2.0.0.20. No contest.

21. Apr 4, 2008 #20
    In my opinion people think Windows is more user friendly as it's what they have used their whole lives in reality once you make the change to mac it's a lot easier to use in my opinion. Some of it just seems odd to Windows users when/before they switch - I found the change over not that bad at all when I did it.

The only problem with OSX is that some programs are only released for Windows but now with bootcamp, to allow you to run Windows on a mac seamlessly, the problem is far lessened. My Intel Macbook Pro, which is my only machine now, quite happily runs Windows and windows based software - including games such as COD4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?