Mac or windows?

• Thread starter amaq4
  • Start date

What's better Windows or Mac

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mac OS X *is* a UNIX and from a CS person's perspective, as far as I see it, Mac OS X is just Linux with a more convenient graphical shell. Basically any project I start on my mac I can just move seamlessly to a Linux machine when I am done developing it. I once briefly worked at a major UNIX vendor and basically everybody there had powerbooks, as far as I can tell basically for this same reason.

Meanwhile I am unable to understand why anyone would use Windows for any reason unless to play games, and even this reason is going away now that all the Windows games are moving to the XBox 360...

Last edited:
Mk
Windows: Sciences
Mac: Arts

:tongue:
More specifically,
Windows: Office work, mathematics, programming
Mac: Design, medicine

Windows: games (only)
Mac (& Unix): everything else

i think win better than mac

cuz it easy and usually

thx

mdj
Windows != science

Last time I checked it said Physicsforums.com somewhere up around the URL for this site.. How many of you do serious physics in Windows? All my programs needs *nix to run, a few has windows ports (like Mathematica, MATLAB etc) but most requires *nix.
But if you have just a tiny need of doing anything mainstream as well you can't go with Linux since Photoshop etc. isn't ported. Instead Mac OS X supplies the perfect combination of hard-core UNIX and super advanced OpenGL accelerated graphical sweetness as well as a platform where big companies are willing to develop (Microsoft, Adobe and so on) + Hey, my mac runs windows as well.

It's kind of hard choosing Windows for any reason other then being a conservative and perhaps a bit ignorant as to the other side of the ocean ;)

Yes, I'm provoking, but seriously I only have Windows on my Mac for two reasons, gaming and my bloody net-bank, and the latter is supposed to be mailing me some sort of device that let me bank from OSX soon, so as said earlier: Windows = gaming, OSX = everything else!

The newer Macs (Intel based & Leopard OS) will run both Windows XP and Mac's OSX. The dual boot option is great for apps that are operating system specific. If you check around the web, you will find that Windows actually runs faster on a Mac than a PC. Be advised that you will need to install an antivirus program while running in the Windows partition, but not on the Mac side. If you are using a MacBook or MacBook Pro with the dual boot setup, a mouse is necessary to obtain the 'right-click' in Windows.