Mac OS X install on Dell PC

In summary, the person is currently using a Dell Inspiron with dual Windows 7 and Windows 8, but wants to install Mac OS X. They ask if it is legal to install it on a non-Apple brand PC and are provided with a link to a website with information on how to do so. It is mentioned that it is technically illegal, but the chances of being caught are low. The person's advice is to install OS X on a virtual machine to avoid compatibility issues. They also suggest purchasing a genuine copy of the software if moral code conflicts with piracy. The term "hackintosh" is mentioned as a way to install OS X on a PC.
n10Newton
I am Currently using Dell Inspiron(i5 & 4GB RAM) with dual Windows 7 and Windows 8. This time I got comfortable with Windows 8 so I want to install Mac OS X on it. How can do that.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Thanks for that! but can I install Mac OS X (Mountain Lion or Snow Leopard) on a Non-Apple Brand PCs Legally.

Generally speaking, you'll have to go obtain a variant copy of OS X. It will look and feel the exact same as OS X, but it will allow you to install on non-apple products.

My advice to you is to avoid installing OS X directly. You'll be sure to run into some compatibility issues. Generally I like to keep OS X, FreeBSD, Fedora, and BackTrack installed on a virtual machine. If your system can handle it, that would be my advice. Virtual Box is a very easy to use tool, and if you run into any issues I'd be happy to help.

PS
Yes it is technically illegal. That being said, your chances of being caught are near zero. If it is your moral code that conflicts with the crime, then just walk in and purchase a genuine copy of the software before pirating the variant :)

1. Can I install Mac OS X on my Dell PC?

Yes, it is possible to install Mac OS X on a Dell PC. However, it is not officially supported by Apple and may require technical knowledge and modifications.

2. What are the hardware requirements for installing Mac OS X on a Dell PC?

The hardware requirements for installing Mac OS X on a Dell PC include a compatible processor, motherboard, graphics card, and a minimum of 2GB of RAM. It is also recommended to have a solid-state drive for better performance.

3. Is it legal to install Mac OS X on a Dell PC?

Technically, it is a violation of Apple's End User License Agreement (EULA) to install Mac OS X on non-Apple hardware. However, the legality of this practice is a topic of debate.

4. What are the benefits of installing Mac OS X on a Dell PC?

One benefit of installing Mac OS X on a Dell PC is the ability to run Mac-only software and have access to the Mac operating system. It can also provide a more customizable and cost-effective option for those who prefer the Mac OS but do not want to purchase an Apple computer.

5. Can I dual boot Mac OS X and Windows on a Dell PC?

Yes, it is possible to dual boot Mac OS X and Windows on a Dell PC. This allows you to switch between operating systems and use both Mac and Windows-specific software on the same computer.