Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mac users

1. Jun 2, 2003 #1
    Anyone here use/own a mac? I just bought an iMac off my company, G3-600mhz, 384 meg of ram (or so), installed with OS 9.1 and OS X (early, crappy version).

I like the Mac OS, seems clean, easy to use. I was just wondering, what impressions others might have had with it? Can you really replace windows and all (or most) of it's functions with it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2003 #2

Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

I started my summer work as a web designer two weeks ago and have been using a Mac with OSX exclusively and I've really grown to like it. It doesn't replace Windows for me, but OSX is really slick.

4. Jun 5, 2003 #3
    I've got a mac on order now...15" powerbook Ti, 1ghz, 512ram.

Supposedly you can get a program called VirtualPC for the mac that allows you to run windows within OS-X. If that's the case, I won't be losing anything.

But since now I've sold off my PCs (just one older one left) to get this mac, I'll figure out how to do without windows one way or the other

5. Jun 5, 2003 #4

Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

VirtualPC is nice for small utilities and applications, but for anything more it's really slow.

6. Jun 5, 2003 #5
    That's what I heard...so I guess I'm slated to find out. However, it seems like most of the big time programs I use match something that's out for the mac.

Or so I hope

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?