Mac vs PC: Which is Better for a PhD Student?

In summary, the conversation discusses the pros and cons of buying a new laptop, specifically a 15-inch MacBook Pro. The person asking the question is a PhD student who needs a laptop for work with Mathematica and LaTeX, but also has access to a PC for more computational power. The group suggests looking into non-Apple laptops, as they are cheaper and can still run Linux and other necessary programs. Some specific laptop options are mentioned, such as the Asus X556U and the Acer Aspire E 15. Overall, the group advises considering budget and specific needs before deciding on a laptop.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I'm about to buy a new laptop, and am leaning towards a 15". I currently use a macbook pro 2013 for my main computer, though I also have a PC rebooted for Ubuntu (it's my lab's, not mine).

The new macbooks are very expensive, but very durable. To me, they feel very secure and well built, not flimsy like many PCs I've used. The screen clarity is also superb, better on mine than many new PCs I've seen. Does anyone else feel this way? What is your recommendation for a new laptop? Should I fork up money for a mac, or do you have a PC in mind (again, I'll reboot this as pure Ubuntu)?

Purpose: I'm a PhD student, though I work mostly with Mathematica and LaTeX, so don't need computational power (have the other laptop for that, also have access to more power if needed, but my work is not too computational).

Computer science news on Phys.org
Getting a non apple notebook is a lot cheaper. Hell, you could even get a refurbished one, stick an SSD in it and off you go. As long as it has some compute power in it, you'll be able to work seemlessly. I have an Asus X556U laptop (overkill), running arch linux on it.

I wouldn't want to use macOS simply because the product it comes with is inexplicably expensive, therefore not worth it.

Likes davenn, Klystron, StoneTemplePython and 1 other person
nuuskur said:
Getting a non apple notebook is a lot cheaper. Hell, you could even get a refurbished one, stick an SSD in it and off you go. As long as it has some compute power in it, you'll be able to work seemlessly. I have an Asus X556U laptop (overkill), running arch linux on it.

I wouldn't want to use macOS simply because the product it comes with is inexplicably expensive, therefore not worth it.
Thanks, good to know. Do you know if PCs actually go on sale for black friday? I've only bought macs in the past, and they didn't.

Computers are usually on sale for the back to school tax-free days. I'd head towards a refurbished and stick either added memory or an SSD in it and work with Linux, I prefer Debian over Ubuntu.

I own and operate Windows PCs. My youngest sister "Ms. Mensa", born and raised in Cupertino, California, where Apple is headquartered, runs Macs and Apple gear exclusively. Apple products look great IMO but PCs fit my budget and seem more adaptable. Our older sister, while still friends with Steve Wozniak, also prefers PCs at work -- hospital administration and medical -- and at home.

I tried to remain agnostic during the PC vs. Mac squabbles of the past, but budget constraints and technical issues left me in the PC camp. My advice is to try every available platform and buy what suits your style, requirements and resources.

Buying new or refurbished equipment for your own use is a different discussion. I prefer buying the most powerful new unit I can afford at the time with an eye to future needs, then running it for a long time knowing the complete maintenance history of the device.

Last edited:
Likes davenn
Here's my experience. I use Linux almost exclusively in my work. I bought a succession of PCs and installed Ubuntu on them like you said. But several of them failed and I kept needing to buy new ones. The I bought a MacBook. It is Unix based, so I can install any Unix code (I use Homebrew, but there are other ways). I've had the same computer now for five years, and it still works great. So I'm actually spending less than I did before. Also, doing non work related things like watching movies or playing games always works seamlessly, whereas I always needed to fiddle with something to get these things to run with a PC running Ubuntu.

• Informative
Likes Klystron
Klystron said:
I own and operate Window PCs.
As do I, albeit they are Windows PCs.
Klystron said:
budget constraints and technical issues left me in the PC camp.
My first computer was an Apple //e, purchased in about 1981. When I was teaching at a community college, the school provided me with a Macintosh, and then later a Mac Plus, around the mid 80s.

When I was looking to buy a computer of my own, in '86, it seemed that the Macs were about twice as much money as the comparable PC clones, so I opted for a PC clone running an 80386 process. Since then I've had nothing but x86 machines.
Klystron said:
I prefer buying the most powerful new unit I can afford at the time with an eye to future needs, then running it for a long time knowing the complete maintenance history of the device.
This is good advice. Computers become more-or-less obsolete not long after you buy them, so if you get one, it makes sense to get the highest quality you can afford, so that it will still be able to run operating systems and software years from now. I did this with the HP Pavilion machine I am typing on, which I bought in 2013. It has been running constantly for the past six years, with no problems whatsoever. I recently bought a Dell machine, with a 10-core Xeon Scalable processor. I expect to be using that machine for many years.

Last edited:
Likes member 428835 and Klystron
Thanks everyone, I take all your comments seriously. Thanks so much!

Likes Klystron
Looking at your needs (Mathematica and LaTeX), there is no need to spend a lot on laptop. MacBooks are best, no doubt, but buying it just for working with Mathematica and Latex doesn't seem logical as they are costly.
Instead, you can go with some $500-$700 laptop with which you can easily get your work done. Some of the options are Acer Aspire E 15 (Core-i5 model), ASUS VivoBook F510, VivoBook S15 and similar ones.

But, at the end, if you have budget and want to stick with MacBook, just go for it. You can choose moderate configuration of it for less cost.

Reference: Best Laptops For College Students

Mark44 said:
As do I, albeit they are Windows PCs.
My first computer was an Apple //e, purchased in about 1981. When I was teaching at a community college, the school provided me with a Macintosh, and then later a Mac Plus, around the mid 80s.

When I was looking to buy a computer of my own, in '86, it seemed that the Macs were about twice as much money as the comparable PC clones, so I opted for a PC clone running an 80386 process. Since then I've had nothing but x86 machines.
This is good advice. Computers become more-or-less obsolete not long after you buy them, so if you get one, it makes sense to get the highest quality you can afford, so that it will still be able to run operating systems and software years from now. I did this with the HP Pavilion machine I am typing on, which I bought in 2013. It has been running constantly for the past six years, with no problems whatsoever. I recently bought a Dell machine, with a 10-core Xeon Scalable processor. I expect to be using that machine for many years.
By 'machines' I assume desktops, not laptops?

EDIT2: Also, what if one's goal is to have a desktop for 'heavier' work ( Games, 3D Simulations, etc.) and a laptop for 'lighter' work and portability, e.g., just surfing the web and using Office software ( at a coffee shop)?

EDIT: I ended up in the ultimate rabbit hole in checking PC reviews: I went to Consumer Reports website only to read the ( legit, imo) criticism that they do not test material for more than a few weeks, so their advice says nothing about quality over the longer-run. Then I went over Amazon reviews only to read of claims that some were doctored. But then someone brought into question the site that claimed Amazon's reviews are doctored. Serenity now!

Last edited:
Likes member 428835 and Klystron
Some other issues to consider ( for PCs)?
Quality of support, availability of space for updates. Is there local support ( so you can send back if necessary, speak with someone in person and/or over the phone with someone you can understand) I hear some complaints by those using Win10 that periodic updates require increasing amounts of space.

Likes davenn
I like a friend's set up. He has a gaming PC running at his home while he carries around a Surface Pro and uses teamviewer anytime he needs more computational power. My budget's comparatively lower, so I use a mid range gaming laptop because I need both Windows and Linux for most of my work and tunnel into a supercomputer when I need more power. Though I am thinking of getting a chromebook and load ubuntu on it for lighter stuff which is about 80% of my computer usage - reading papers, typing and email.

A lot of the people I know have had issues with Macs because some niche softwares work solely on Windows and won't run on Mac without virtualization or dual-booting.

Likes davenn and Klystron
WWGD said:
By 'machines' I assume desktops, not laptops?
Yes, desktops. I don't care much for laptops -- I find them a bit more difficult to type on.
WWGD said:
EDIT2: Also, what if one's goal is to have a desktop for 'heavier' work ( Games, 3D Simulations, etc.) and a laptop for 'lighter' work and portability, e.g., just surfing the web and using Office software ( at a coffee shop)?
Different strokes for different folks -- my lifestyle doesn't include hanging out at coffee shops. I visit my local Starbucks about once a month, solely to buy a pound of ground coffee.

Asking MAC vs PC leads to generalisations due to different build qualities. Apple produce high end hardware and charge a premium for it, PC's go from cheap varients all the way upto MAC style high end hardware. You can't really compare a MAC to a PC without comparing it to a similarly specified PC. Dell's XPS range are in the same category as the MAC's. Otherwise it's like comparing a Mercedes to a Ford Focus with most cheap PC laptops you find in the stores.

No laptop from either Apple or a PC is going to compare with a similarly priced desktop version. I would also go for a desktop and then if you need some mild mobile computing then a low budget laptop. You could get both for the cost a Apple laptop.

Likes Klystron
Citing Jerry Pournelle (from the BYTE era): "With Macs everything is either dead easy or impossible".

I have a Mac Pro in my cupboard - it is in good shape and everything is fine - but I abhor the software!
  • Safari is the worst web browser I have ever tried
  • The windows manager - how to terminate an app? Command-Q anyone?
  • I have never found any use for most of the desktop apps
So - I tried to donate it to my daughter-in-law who has years of experiences with Mac. She carefully did not hear it and instead bought a Lenovo mini-laptop.

Well, it does not take up too much space...

Likes davenn, Mark44 and Klystron

1. Which operating system is better for a PhD student, Mac or PC?

This ultimately depends on personal preference and the specific needs of the PhD student. Macs are known for their sleek design and user-friendly interface, while PCs offer a wider range of customizable options and compatibility with certain software. It is important to consider the programs and tools required for your research and choose the operating system that best supports them.

2. Can I use the same software on both Mac and PC?

Some software is compatible with both Mac and PC, while others may only work on one operating system. It is important to research the specific programs you need for your research and ensure they are available on your chosen operating system. Additionally, some software may have different features or versions for Mac and PC, so it is important to consider this when making your decision.

3. Are Macs more expensive than PCs?

While Macs typically have a higher upfront cost, they are known for their durability and longevity. PCs may have a lower initial cost, but may require more frequent upgrades and replacements. It is important to consider the long-term cost and value of each option when making a decision.

4. Is one operating system better for specific research areas?

Not necessarily. Both Macs and PCs can support a wide range of research areas and programs. However, it is important to research the specific tools and software needed for your research and choose the operating system that best supports them.

5. Can I easily switch between Mac and PC?

It is possible to switch between Mac and PC, but it may require additional software or settings to be adjusted. It is important to research and understand the process of switching between operating systems before making a decision.