Mac vs PC: PowerPC G4 & G5 Specs Explained

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mac pc
In summary, the equivalent to a G4, G5 is a 1.42GHz PowerPC G4 or a 2GHz PowerPC G5. All the models are switching over by 2007.
mattmns
Could someone explain how these Mac specs work. For example, what is the equivalent to a G4, G5.

For example a Mac mini: 1.42GHz PowerPC G4

Or an Imac: 2GHz PowerPC G5

What would these be in terms of an intel processor?

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
It's hard to say. There are too many factors to get any accurate sense. I wouldn't worry too much anyway since macs are going to be running intel soon. Actually, from what I've heard the developer intel macs available are faster than the fastest osx running on powerpc

Soon? How soon is soon?

mattmns said:
Soon? How soon is soon?

Probably within a year

All the models are switching over by 2007. Whether this actually happens by then will have to be seen. Middle of 2006 I would start looking at the powermac and powerbooks to switch.

As far as specs go, it is nearly impossible to tell. In gaming ppc chips won't touch i386 chips. However, when I use photoshop (about the only application where I can talk about it on both systems) my dual 1.25 G4 out does the pentium 4 2.8 GHz machines I used it on. And when I first switched, sound editing was a breeze. However the photoshop example is the only experience of mine that could hold weight.

It's odd that you say x86 is better at gaming than ppc considering the Xbox is switching to a POWER based architecture.

Of course this is for consoles but i wonder why console gaming favors RISC based chips where computer games are better with PC instead of MAC.

I think it's less of a hardware issue and more of a software one. I bet it has to do with games being optimized for the PC first and then ported for the MAC.

Xbox 360 will have a triple-core PowerPC processor :bugeye: I think ppc is easy to develop for, no? GameCube used PowerPC "gekko" and it was very simple to create games on according to developers.

1. What is the difference between a Mac and a PC?

Macs and PCs are two different types of computers. Macs are made by Apple and run on the macOS operating system, while PCs are made by various manufacturers and run on the Windows operating system.

2. What is the PowerPC G4 and G5?

The PowerPC G4 and G5 are two types of processors used in Mac computers. The G4 was used in Macs from 1999 to 2006, while the G5 was used from 2003 to 2006. These processors were developed by IBM and Motorola, and were known for their high performance and power efficiency.

3. How do the specs of the PowerPC G4 and G5 compare?

The PowerPC G5 had a faster clock speed and larger cache than the G4, making it more powerful and efficient. The G5 also had a 64-bit architecture, allowing it to handle more data at once compared to the G4's 32-bit architecture.

4. Can I upgrade my Mac's PowerPC G4 or G5 processor?

No, it is not possible to upgrade the processor in a Mac with a PowerPC G4 or G5. These processors are not compatible with newer Macs and it is not possible to replace them with a different processor.

5. Are there any advantages to using a Mac with a PowerPC G4 or G5?

The PowerPC G4 and G5 processors were known for their power and efficiency, making them great for tasks such as video and audio editing. However, they are no longer supported by newer versions of macOS and may not be able to run certain software or apps.