Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1. Dec 2, 2004 #1
    hey.. currently reading macbeth in my english class and needed to find more info on Fleance, Banquo's son... i cant find any major characteristics or his importance in the story...all i found out is that he fled away after banquos death and thats it..

Any help is appreciated.. thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2004 #2
    Umm, this is a physics forum. Some people here may be well educated, but english is not there specialty, and i know I can't help you at all with that. If it were hamlet or king lear i could tell you anything you wanted to know, but not 'the scottish tragedy.' Sorry.
  4. Dec 2, 2004 #3
    Doesn't he become king when macbeth dies? that's a pretty big importance.

Edit: Wait, no he doesn't. :frown:
  5. Dec 3, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wasn't there something about Fleance's son taking the throne after Malcolm ?

I can't really recall anything distinguishing about Fleance's character....in fact, I can't remember him saying very much either.

But I'll never forget the beginning of the second act, where Banquo exchanges a few words with Fleance, and shortly, Macbeth arrives on the scene. And while Banquo praises Macbeth and his Lady, he uses the words "shut up". I've always wondered if this was the first use of that phrase.

My advice would be to go over all the scenes where Fleance has a role. Can you tell anything about his relationship with his father, perhaps ? Also, didn't someone (can't remember who) suspect that Fleance was the one that killed Banquo ? Was there good reason for this suspicion ?
  6. Dec 3, 2004 #5

jimmy p

Gold Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Quick!!! Thespians (i said THesPians) cover your ears and eyes!! he meant "the Scottish play".

My two cents.
  7. Dec 3, 2004 #6
    Whether it is Fleance or his son - a descendent of Banquo becomes king. I'd hypothesize that a Shakesperean audience would realize that. If this information were known it would foreshadow that the witches' prophecies would come true.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?