Machine Gun Momentum Question [Please help!]

In summary, the problem involves determining the average recoil force and estimating the peak force on a machine gun attached to a stationary flatcar firing 240 rounds per minute with bullets of 25g and a muzzle velocity of 900m/s. The total momentum is conserved and the flatcar moves without friction. The solution involves using relevant equations and considering the mass and velocity of the car and bullets.
subwaybusker
Machine Gun Momentum Question [Please help!]

Homework Statement

A machine gun is attached at one end of a 10m long stationary flatcar and fires towards the other end. Determine the average recoil fore on the gun if it fires 240 rounds/min, the mass of the bullets is 25g and the muzzle velocity is 900m/s. If each bullet is in the 0.5 long barrel for 2x10^-3 seconds after discharge, estimate the peak force on the gun. If the bullets are absorbed by a target at the other end of the car, and the 10^3 kg flatcar moves without friction, how fast and in what direction does the flatcar move?

2. Relevants Equations:

240 rounds/min = 4 rounds/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the average recoil force using this:

F=[tex]\Delta[/tex]mv = (4 rounds/s)(0.025kg)(900m/s)=90 N

I'm actually not even sure if 25g is the mass of one bullet or the total mass, but surely 25g can't be the mass of all the bullets.

Then I'm not sure how to estimate the peak force. I know the max F is supposed to occur at 1x10^-3 s.

For the last part, I know that the total momentum is conserved

p=p'
0=(mass of car)(v of car) + (mass of bullets)(v of bullets)

so the car should be moving backwards...except the bullets are fired continuously over time, so i don't know what to put down for the mass. and I'm not even sure if the force applied by the bullets is constant, if it's not, then a is not constant? so i would have to take the deriv of a to find the speed of the car?

Any help is appreciated, thanks. =)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

How are you liking U of T?

1. What is the Machine Gun Momentum Question?

The Machine Gun Momentum Question is a thought experiment that involves a hypothetical scenario where a machine gun is mounted on a frictionless platform. When the gun is fired, the recoil force causes the platform to move in the opposite direction, thus conserving momentum. The question arises: if the gun and platform are initially at rest, what happens when the gun is fired continuously for an infinite amount of time?

2. What is the significance of the Machine Gun Momentum Question?

The Machine Gun Momentum Question is significant because it challenges our understanding of the laws of conservation of momentum and Newton's third law of motion. It also highlights the concept of infinite energy and its implications.

3. What are the possible outcomes of the Machine Gun Momentum Question?

There are two possible outcomes: either the platform will continue to gain momentum and reach infinite velocity, or it will reach a maximum velocity and remain at a constant speed due to factors such as air resistance and the finite energy of the gun's ammunition.

4. How is the Machine Gun Momentum Question relevant to real-life situations?

The Machine Gun Momentum Question is relevant in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in motion, such as rockets and jet engines. It also has implications in the development of future technologies, such as space travel and propulsion systems.

5. What are some criticisms of the Machine Gun Momentum Question?

Some criticisms of the Machine Gun Momentum Question include the assumptions made in the thought experiment, such as the absence of external forces and perfect energy conservation. It also does not consider the effects of relativity and quantum mechanics, which are important in extreme scenarios such as infinite energy.