Machine learning vs statistics

In summary, linear regression is a linear process used to predict data using a set of training data. Linear regression in machine learning is different in that the machine learning algorithm will use a neural network to better fit the training data. Neural networks often use nonlinear functions which leads to less statistical confidence in the results.
fog37
Hello,

I am trying to wrap my head around the difference between machine learning and statistics for predictive purposes and interpretability...

Is there a sharp difference between the two in terms of predictive power? I understand how machine learning needs to be first trained with data to later make useful predictions, etc. Some of the used algorithms are the same we find in statistics (for ex., linear regression).

Given a set of data (not extremely larger), how is linear regression done with machine learning different from the more traditional linear regression?

Likes WWGD
Technology news on Phys.org
More specifically, how is linear regression done in statistics different from linear regression done with machine learning? Both seem identical processes to predict data we don't have from data we have...

Machine learning sells better than statistics.

Likes phinds
I see...thanks.

A lot of machine learning algorithms use neural networks. Neural networks often use functions that are highly nonlinear but allow a better fit to the "training data". There tends to be less emphasis on the statistical confidence of the results. The subject of neural networks is important to understand if you wish to work in machine learning. There is a wide variety of applications, from simply fitting data to having the network develop its own patterns and classifications.

Likes olgerm
DrStupid said:
Machine learning sells better than statistics.
I disagree with this as a summary of the differences.

Last edited:
FactChecker said:
I disagree with this as a summary of the differences.

"How is linear regression done in statistics different from linear regression done with machine learning" in your opinon?

Likes FactChecker
DrStupid said:
"How is linear regression done in statistics different from linear regression done with machine learning" in your opinon?
Oh, I stand corrected on that part. Linear regression is linear regression. But machine learning and artificial intelligence include so many other techniques that I think it is good to correct the misguided impression of the OP. That may be a reason for a different pay scale.

1. What is the main difference between machine learning and statistics?

Machine learning is a subset of artificial intelligence that involves creating algorithms and models that can learn from data and make predictions or decisions without being explicitly programmed. Statistics, on the other hand, is a branch of mathematics that involves collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data to make inferences about a larger population. In short, statistics focuses on understanding and describing data, while machine learning focuses on using data to make predictions or decisions.

2. Are machine learning and statistics interchangeable?

No, machine learning and statistics are not interchangeable. While both involve working with data, they have different goals and approaches. Machine learning is typically used for predictive tasks, whereas statistics is used for understanding and explaining relationships between variables. Additionally, machine learning often deals with much larger datasets than statistics.

3. Is machine learning a part of statistics?

While machine learning and statistics have some overlap, they are distinct fields. Machine learning uses statistical techniques, but it also incorporates elements from computer science and engineering, such as programming and optimization. Statistics, on the other hand, is a more traditional mathematical discipline.

4. Which field is more important in data science: machine learning or statistics?

Both machine learning and statistics play important roles in data science. Machine learning is crucial for building predictive models and making sense of large amounts of data, while statistics helps us understand the underlying patterns and relationships in the data. Ultimately, both fields are necessary for a comprehensive understanding of data science.

5. Can you use machine learning without a background in statistics?

Yes, it is possible to use machine learning without a strong background in statistics. However, having a basic understanding of statistical concepts such as hypothesis testing, regression, and probability can be helpful in developing and interpreting machine learning models. It is also important to have a solid understanding of the data being used in order to apply machine learning techniques effectively.