1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Machines Problem

1. Dec 9, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Machines Problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ramp, 18m long and 4.5m high is set up in order to wheel a 25-kg box at a constant speed. Assume that by wheeling it there is no friction.

2. Relevant equations

IMA= [tex]\frac{d_{in}}{d_{out}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know this is a pretty simple problem but I don't know how to tell which distance is "in"and which is "out".

Please help, I can't find any sample problems in my book and we never got any practice in class...and I have a test tomorrow! :( Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are you trying to find out - what is the actual question ?

4. Dec 9, 2007 #3
    o, im sorry, I have to find the IMA and MA... (ideal mechanical advantage and mechanical advantage).

5. Dec 9, 2007 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, I hadn't seen the acronym before.
    Mechanical advantage is generally = distance you apply the force over / distance work is done.
    So in an inclined plane = length of slope / height of slope
    If there is no friction then Ideal MA would = MA

To work out which way up, you would generally want a MA > 1 so you do less work for a longer distance to move a heavy load a short distance.

ps. Although not always, high gear on a bike has fractional mechanical advantage so you apply a large force over a small diustance to move the bike wheel a large distance with low force.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  6. Dec 9, 2007 #5
    ok thanks so much!! :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?