Finding Maclaurin Error < 0.0001 for f(x)=cos(2x) at x=0.6

In summary, the conversation is about determining the degree of Maclaurin polynomial needed to approximate cos(2x) with an error of less than 0.0001 at x=0.6. The person is unsure of how to approach the problem and has attempted to use the formula Rn(x) = ( (f^(n+1)(z)) / (n+1)! ) (x)^(n+1), but is unsure of how to proceed. They are advised to find the form of f^(n+1)(0) and then solve the inequality Rn(0.6) < 0.001 for n to determine the required degree. The person suggests using trial and error to find the Ma
kenny87
Here's the problem:

Determine the degree of Maclaurin polynomial required for the error to be less than .0001 if f(x)=cos(2x) and you are approximating f(0.6)

I really don't know what I am doing. Here's what I've tried to do:

Rn(.6) = ( (f^(n+1)(z)) / (n+1)! ) (.6)^(n+1)

I don't know where to go from here...

Physics news on Phys.org
You must find the form of [tex] f^{n+1}(0) [/tex] first, then substitute it to Rn(0.6).
Solve the inequation : Rn(0.6) < 0.001 for n.
n is the required degree of Maclaurin polynomial for the given error.

Where did this come from: Rn(.6) = ( (f^(n+1)(z)) / (n+1)! ) (.6)^(n+1) ?

I would do this by trial and error, i.e calculating a larger and larger Maclaurin series expansion of cos (2x) until f(0.6) is where you need it to be.

What is Maclaurin Error?

Maclaurin Error is the difference between the actual value and the estimated value of a function using its Maclaurin series. It is used to measure the accuracy of the approximation.

How do you find Maclaurin Error?

To find Maclaurin Error, you can use the Taylor series expansion of a function and then substitute the value of x into the series. The difference between the actual value of the function and the value from the series is the Maclaurin Error.

What is f(x)=cos(2x)?

f(x)=cos(2x) is a cosine function with a frequency of 2 and an amplitude of 1. It represents a periodic wave with a period of 2π.

How do you calculate Maclaurin Error for f(x)=cos(2x) at x=0.6?

To calculate Maclaurin Error for f(x)=cos(2x) at x=0.6, you can use the Taylor series expansion of cos(2x) and substitute 0.6 for x. Then, compare the value from the series to the actual value of cos(2x) at 0.6 to find the difference, which is the Maclaurin Error.

Why is it important to find Maclaurin Error?

Finding Maclaurin Error is important because it helps to determine the accuracy of the approximation of a function. It allows us to know how close the estimated value is to the actual value and can help us improve the accuracy of our calculations or predictions.