1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Maclaurin Expansion

1. May 21, 2010 #1
    Hi, I recently sat my Maths examination and there was a Maclaurin expansion question that I made an attempt at but I think it was wrong, it would be good if I could get help on this, it's too late to be of any real help but it will help me understand where I went wrong:

Obtain the first three non-zero terms in the Maclaurin expansion of (1 + sin2x)

What I done here was, let f(x) = (1 + sin2x) and differentiated until I got three non-zero terms when plugging in x = 0. But I'm not sure if this is "expandable" or whether I need to change sin2x into something that can be expanded.

Did I do the right thing or did I make a mistake?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2010 #2
    The first term is 1.

4. May 21, 2010 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What you describe sounds like one of several correct ways to attack the problem. Of course, I cannot tell if you executed the attack correctly.

5. May 21, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

A quicker way (and one probably alluded to by Hurkyl) is to take a couple of terms of the Maclaurin series for sin(x), square them, and then add 1.

6. May 21, 2010 #5
    Or use the trig formula

[tex]
    \sin^{2} x = \frac{1 - \cos{2 x}}{2}
    [/tex]

and use the Maclaurin series for the cosine.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook