1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maclaurin polynomials problem

1. Jan 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the Maclaurin polynomials of orders n=0, 1, 2, 3, and 4, and then find the nth Maclaurin polynomials for the function in sigma notation:

f(x)= ln(1+x)

2. Relevant equations

pn(x)= f(0) + f'(0)x + [f''(0)/2!](x)^2 +[f'''(0)/3!](x)^3 + .... + [f^(n)(0)/n!](x)^n

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that I need to find up to the 4th derivative using f(x)=ln(x) and then simply use the maclaurin polynomial equation up to a certain point for n = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 .. n.

The only problem is I can't remember how to FIND derivatives of ln(x)!
    I don't really understand how to find the nth polynomial in sigma notation either..

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2007 #2
    What integrates to give ln(x)? (How is it defined?)
    The nth polynomial bit will probably become clearer once you've written down a few of the derivatives.

4. Jan 10, 2007 #3
    Well, I thought (1/x) integrates to ln(x), but I wasn't sure about the derivative...

5. Jan 10, 2007 #4
    So what's the realtionship between integrating and differentiating?

6. Jan 10, 2007 #5
    OH okay i just realized at the beginning of the problem i was referring to ln(x+1) and then somehow i changed it to ln(x). i understand about the relationship between ln(x) and 1/x, i just need help with the derivative of ln(x+1)

thank you!

7. Jan 10, 2007 #6
    Try letting u=x+1

8. Jan 10, 2007 #7
    soo.. ln(u)du =1/(u) ? so its just 1/(x+1) ?

wow, i thought it was alot harder for some reason.

9. Jan 10, 2007 #8
    That's right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?