How to Find Maclaurin Polynomials for ln(x) in Sigma Notation?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Maclaurin polynomials of orders n=0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 for the function ln(1+x), and using the formula pn(x)= f(0) + f'(0)x + [f''(0)/2!](x)^2 +[f'''(0)/3!](x)^3 + ... + [f^(n)(0)/n!](x)^n to find the nth polynomial in sigma notation. The conversation also touches on the relationship between integrating and differentiating, and the use of substitution to find the derivative of ln(x+1).
raincheck

Homework Statement

Find the Maclaurin polynomials of orders n=0, 1, 2, 3, and 4, and then find the nth Maclaurin polynomials for the function in sigma notation:

f(x)= ln(1+x)

Homework Equations

pn(x)= f(0) + f'(0)x + [f''(0)/2!](x)^2 +[f'''(0)/3!](x)^3 + ... + [f^(n)(0)/n!](x)^n

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to find up to the 4th derivative using f(x)=ln(x) and then simply use the maclaurin polynomial equation up to a certain point for n = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 .. n.

The only problem is I can't remember how to FIND derivatives of ln(x)!
I don't really understand how to find the nth polynomial in sigma notation either..

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
What integrates to give ln(x)? (How is it defined?)
The nth polynomial bit will probably become clearer once you've written down a few of the derivatives.

Well, I thought (1/x) integrates to ln(x), but I wasn't sure about the derivative...

So what's the realtionship between integrating and differentiating?

OH okay i just realized at the beginning of the problem i was referring to ln(x+1) and then somehow i changed it to ln(x). i understand about the relationship between ln(x) and 1/x, i just need help with the derivative of ln(x+1)

thank you!

Try letting u=x+1

soo.. ln(u)du =1/(u) ? so its just 1/(x+1) ?

wow, i thought it was a lot harder for some reason.

That's right.

1. What are Maclaurin polynomials?

Maclaurin polynomials are a type of Taylor polynomial, which is a mathematical formula used to approximate a function. They are centered at x=0 and are made up of a finite number of terms from the Taylor series of a function.

2. What is the purpose of using Maclaurin polynomials?

The purpose of using Maclaurin polynomials is to approximate a function and simplify complex calculations. They can also be used to find derivatives and integrals of a function.

3. How are Maclaurin polynomials calculated?

Maclaurin polynomials are calculated using the Taylor series formula, which is: f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)x + f''(0)x^2/2! + f'''(0)x^3/3! + ... + f^(n)(0)x^n/n!, where f^(n)(0) represents the nth derivative of f(x) evaluated at x=0.

4. What is the difference between a Maclaurin polynomial and a Taylor polynomial?

The main difference between a Maclaurin polynomial and a Taylor polynomial is the point of expansion or center. Maclaurin polynomials are centered at x=0, while Taylor polynomials can be centered at any given point.

5. How accurate are Maclaurin polynomials?

The accuracy of a Maclaurin polynomial depends on the number of terms used in the approximation. The more terms used, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, for some functions, the Maclaurin polynomial may not converge to the function at all points.