1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maclaurin Series concept help

1. Aug 4, 2007 #1
    Im really having trouble wrapping my mind around the topic of maclaurin series, my problem requires me to find the maclaurin series of f(x) = 1/(1+x^2), then use that to find the maclaurin series of g(x)= arctan(x)...i don't even know where to begin.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Well you could do it either one of 2 ways: Use the definition of the Maclaurin series for a function f(x), [tex] f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)x + f''(0)\frac{x^2}{2!} + f'''(0) \frac{x^3}{3!}...[/tex].

Or you could divide 1 by 1+x^2 via polynomial division, and it gets the same series.

After you get that series, it wants you to realize that since that series is the same as 1/(1+x^2), the integral of the series is equal to the integral of 1/(1+x^2), which is arctan(x).

4. Aug 5, 2007 #3
    So basically I plug into the general formula, then what, how do I use that information to find the series of arctan?

5. Aug 5, 2007 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

you plug into that formula, then you must realise that series is equal to 1/(1+x^2). Integrate both sides, since you know the integral of 1/(1+x^2) is arctan(x), you know the series for arctan x.

6. Aug 5, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A power series is a power series! If you have two power series that converge to the same function, then they must be exactly the same power series- in other words, it doesn't matter how you actually find the series.

You could also do 1/(1+ x2) as a geometric series. You know, of course, that
    [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty ar^n= \frac{a}{1- r}[/tex]
    For this problem, you must have
    [tex]\frac{a}{1- r}= \frac{1}{1+ x^2}[/tex]
    so a= 1 and r= -x2: the power series is
    [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty (-x^2)^n= \sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n x^{2n}[/tex]

As Gib Z said, since
    [tex]arctan(x)= \int \frac{1}{1+ x^2} dx[/itex]
    You can integrate the series term by term to get the series for arctan(x).

7. Jul 8, 2010 #6
    I'm working on the same problem, and the trouble I'm having is that when you take the first, second, third etc. derivatives of 1/(1+x^2) I'm not seeing a clear pattern in the derivatives. The only problems I've seen with the Maclaurin series are problems with some function such as sin(x) that will repeat after a few derivations. So this ones giving me lots of trouble It could be that I'm deriving it wrong, but I don't think so. Can you guys help me figure out the pattern?

8. Jul 8, 2010 #7

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Maclaurin series is simple. Let's see have an example, f(x)=sin(x). Then suppose I can write the function as sin (x)=a+bx+cx^{2}+dx^{3}+...
    Our task is to compute a,b,c,d,... To find a, set x=0 to find a=sin(0)=0.
    To find b, differentiate w.r.t x to find cos(x)=b+2cx+3dx^{2}. To find b, set x=0 to see that:
    b=cos(0)=1. So the series is sin(x)=x+cx^{2}+dx^{3}+...
    To find c, differentiate twice to find:
    -sin(x)=2c+6dx+...
    Set x=0 to see that c=0.
    Again apply the same methodology to find d. sin(x)=x+dx^{3}+...
    Differentiate three times to get -cos(x)=6d+...
    set x=0 to find d=-1/6=-1/3!
    Then sin(x)=x-x^{3}/3!+...
    That is the idea of Maclaurin's series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?