Maclaurin series for e^(x-1)

In summary, the conversation is about confirming the derivative of e^(x-1) and using the chain rule and Maclaurin series to find the derivative. The conversation also discusses the time of posting and the effectiveness of last minute help. In the end, the derivative of e^(x-1) is confirmed to be e^(x-1) and the conversation provides two methods for finding the derivative.
Kristi
PLEASE HELP need conformation on derivative of e^(x-1)

Can't remember if derivative of e^(x-1) is e^(x-1) or if it changes.
PLEASE HELP!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is the same (that is of course, if by the same you are referring to the derivative of exp(x-1)). Just use the chain rule to be sure.

The reason I am asking is because I used the chain rule and got the same thing. Do you know anything about the Maclaurin series?

[tex]
e^x = \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{{x^n }}{{n!}}}
[/tex]

Edit: I made an error...thinking about it...might get back to you. Someone else should be able to answer.

Perhaps try to make use of: [tex]f^{\left( n \right)} \left( x \right) = e^{x - 1} \Rightarrow f^{\left( n \right)} \left( 0 \right) = e^{ - 1} [/tex]

I'm not confident enough about my answer to tell you that I think it is correct but I'm thinking that the Maclaurin series for exp(x-1) is the same as exp(x) with an extra factor of exp(-1) inside the summation.

Last edited:
Nobody seems to be out there. I have to turn this in in a few hours, plus get some sleep. It's cool, how do I get a hold of one of the mentors?

I don't know if there is way to just get hold of a mentor. I think you just need to wait until one of them comes online. You have the definition of the Taylor series right?

[tex]
f\left( x \right) = \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {f^{\left( n \right)} \left( a \right)\frac{{\left( {x - a} \right)^n }}{{n!}}}
[/tex]

In your case a = 0. The only work that you need to do is find an expression for the nth derivative evaluated at x = 0. I kind of already gave you that.

Thanks I just really need to know for sure what the derivative for e^(x-1).

It is not clear what your question is. Please make a clear statement of the question then show what you have been able to do.

BTW, these forums are not a good place for last minute help. Plan ahead, Also consider the time you are posting. At 2am US west coast time you will not find a lot of people online here to help.

I just edited my first posting. I just stumbled upon this site while I was looking for help online. I have been working on this assignment for several days. When using the chain rule is stays the same. I know e^x is e^x, so does e^(x-1) stay the same also?

If you differentiate exp(x-1) you will get exp(x-1). So exp(x-1) 'stays the same.'

Thanks a lot Benny, you have been great!

Kristi said:
PLEASE HELP!

You got to be joking, right?

[tex] e^{x-1}=e^{x}e^{-1}=\frac{1}{e}e^{x} [/tex].

So a MacLaurin series for [itex] e^{x-1} [/itex] is identical, up to a multiplicative constant (\frac{1}{e}), to [itex] e^{x}[/itex]'s one...:rolleyes:

Daniel.

no, I've been working on this assignment all weekend, and have not gone to sleep. so would f''(x) then be 1/e^2*e^x?

Your first question:
Kristi said:
PLEASE HELP!
was answered 9 minutes after you posted:
Benny said:
It is the same (that is of course, if by the same you are referring to the derivative of exp(x-1)). Just use the chain rule to be sure."

But you don't really need to do any derivatives at all. You were also told:
[tex]e^x= \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]
and it is obvious that ex-1= ex/e.

Your last question just echos your first:
Kristi said:
no, I've been working on this assignment all weekend, and have not gone to sleep. so would f''(x) then be 1/e^2*e^x?
If f(x)= ex-1 there are two ways of finding the derivative:
1) use the chain rule: let u=x-1 so f(u)= eu. What is df/du? What is du/dx? Multiply them together.
2) f(x)= ex-1= ex/e. What is the derivative of ex divided by a constant?

1. What is a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a type of power series expansion that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms involving powers of x. It is named after Scottish mathematician Colin Maclaurin and is a special case of a Taylor series.

2. How is e^(x-1) represented by a Maclaurin series?

The Maclaurin series for e^(x-1) is given by the formula f(x) = 1 + (x-1) + (x-1)^2/2! + (x-1)^3/3! + ... = ∑(x-1)^n/n!, where n ranges from 0 to infinity. This series can be used to approximate the value of e^(x-1) for any value of x.

3. What is the significance of the term e^(x-1) in a Maclaurin series?

The term e^(x-1) represents the derivative of the function e^x evaluated at x=1. This is because the Maclaurin series is based on the values of the derivatives of a function at a specific point, which in this case is x=1.

4. How accurate is the Maclaurin series for e^(x-1)?

The accuracy of the Maclaurin series for e^(x-1) depends on the value of x. For smaller values of x, the series will converge faster and provide a more accurate approximation. However, for larger values of x, the series may converge more slowly and provide a less accurate approximation.

5. How can the Maclaurin series for e^(x-1) be used in real-world applications?

The Maclaurin series for e^(x-1) can be used to approximate the value of e^(x-1) in situations where a precise value is not required. This can be useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where exponential growth or decay is involved. It can also be used to simplify complicated mathematical expressions and make them easier to work with.