1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maclaurin series for e^(x-1)

1. Nov 7, 2005 #1
    PLEASE HELP need conformation on derivative of e^(x-1)

Can't remember if derivative of e^(x-1) is e^(x-1) or if it changes.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2005 #2
    It is the same (that is of course, if by the same you are referring to the derivative of exp(x-1)). Just use the chain rule to be sure.
  4. Nov 7, 2005 #3
    The reason I am asking is because I used the chain rule and got the same thing. Do you know anything about the Maclaurin series?
  5. Nov 7, 2005 #4
    e^x = \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{{x^n }}{{n!}}}

Edit: I made an error...thinking about it...might get back to you. Someone else should be able to answer.

Perhaps try to make use of: [tex]f^{\left( n \right)} \left( x \right) = e^{x - 1} \Rightarrow f^{\left( n \right)} \left( 0 \right) = e^{ - 1} [/tex]

I'm not confident enough about my answer to tell you that I think it is correct but I'm thinking that the Maclaurin series for exp(x-1) is the same as exp(x) with an extra factor of exp(-1) inside the summation.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  6. Nov 7, 2005 #5
    Nobody seems to be out there. I have to turn this in in a few hours, plus get some sleep. It's cool, how do I get a hold of one of the mentors?
  7. Nov 7, 2005 #6
    I don't know if there is way to just get hold of a mentor. I think you just need to wait until one of them comes online. You have the definition of the Taylor series right?

f\left( x \right) = \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {f^{\left( n \right)} \left( a \right)\frac{{\left( {x - a} \right)^n }}{{n!}}}

In your case a = 0. The only work that you need to do is find an expression for the nth derivative evaluated at x = 0. I kind of already gave you that.
  8. Nov 7, 2005 #7
    Thanks I just really need to know for sure what the derivative for e^(x-1).
  9. Nov 7, 2005 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is not clear what your question is. Please make a clear statement of the question then show what you have been able to do.

BTW, these forums are not a good place for last minute help. Plan ahead, Also consider the time you are posting. At 2am US west coast time you will not find a lot of people online here to help.
  10. Nov 7, 2005 #9
    I just edited my first posting. I just stumbled upon this site while I was looking for help online. I have been working on this assignment for several days. When using the chain rule is stays the same. I know e^x is e^x, so does e^(x-1) stay the same also?
  11. Nov 7, 2005 #10
    If you differentiate exp(x-1) you will get exp(x-1). So exp(x-1) 'stays the same.'
  12. Nov 7, 2005 #11
    Thanks a lot Benny, you have been great!
  13. Nov 7, 2005 #12

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You gotta be joking, right?

[tex] e^{x-1}=e^{x}e^{-1}=\frac{1}{e}e^{x} [/tex].

So a MacLaurin series for [itex] e^{x-1} [/itex] is identical, up to a multiplicative constant (\frac{1}{e}), to [itex] e^{x}[/itex]'s one...:rolleyes:

14. Nov 7, 2005 #13
    no, I've been working on this assignment all weekend, and have not gone to sleep. so would f''(x) then be 1/e^2*e^x?
  15. Nov 7, 2005 #14

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your first question:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?