1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maclaurin Series help

1. Nov 28, 2007 #1
    Find the MacLaurin polynomial of degree 4 for f(x)
    f(x)= (integral from 0 to x) sin(3t^2)

[f^(n)(0)/n!]*x^n

3. The attempt at a solution

- I took the 4th derivative of sin(3t^2) and got:

f''''(x)= -108sin(3t^2)-1296t^2cos(3t^2)+1296t^4sin(3t^2)

Not real sure what to do from there. I plugged 0 in for t to find my f^(n)(0) and got 0,1,1,-1,-1 ...but I'm not sure if that's right. Can somebody please check my derivative and point me in the right direction for finding the series?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2007 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

This problem is easier than you're making it out to be.

Since f(x) is given by the integral, to get the degree 4 and lower terms in f(x), we need only the degree 3 and lower terms in the integrand. Then, since sin(z) = z + O(z^3), we have sin(3t^2) = 3t^2 + O(t^6), and so we need only keep the first term.

4. Nov 29, 2007 #3
    - I understand what you're saying about only needing to go to the degree 3, but I'm not quite sure I get the sin(z) = z +O(t^6). Can you please explain that a little more?

5. Nov 29, 2007 #4

Avodyne

Science Advisor

sin(z) = z - z^3/3! + ... is the standard series for the sine function. If we substitute 3t^2 for z, we get sin(3t^2) = 3t^2 - 9t^6/3! + ... The t^6 and higher terms will not be needed, as they integrate to x^7 and higher, and we only want terms up to x^4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?