1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MacLaurin series/Ratio test.

1. May 19, 2012 #1
    For f(x) = loge(1-x)
    Clarification: The question isn’t loge(1+x), it’s loge(1-x)

a) Find the MacLaurin series: f(0) +f'(0)x + f''(0)/2! + f'''(0)/3!....etc

My question is, to what extent do I keep applying the series to, since the series goes on forever and there are no constraints specified.

b) Also, I’m having trouble finding the interval of convergence for the MacLauren series, how do I find the interval of convergence?

c) According to the question I am given, I was to find an open interval (e,f) from b) since the statement of the ratio test uses a strict inequality.
    And now I have to use an appropriate test of series convergence for the MacLaurin series found at the start at x = e and x = f

I am clueless as to how to attempt these questions, could somebody please show me the steps? I am keen to understand how to go about tackling these questions.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could start by trying to find f(0), f'(0), f''(0) etc. Any ideas on that? Can you find a general way to write the nth derivative of f evaluated at 0?

Last edited: May 20, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook