1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maclaurin series

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find the maclaurin series of e^(3x) + e(-3x)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure about finding taylor and maclaurin series, I understand perfectly how to find the terms of the series...But how do I put it into a general term do I just have to recognize the pattern by looking at it? anyway...

to attempt this problem I was thinking you use the known maclaurin series for e^x which has a general term of x^n / n! it will be (3x)^n / n! for the first term and (-3x)^n / n! for the 2nd term I'm unsure of combining these The answer is 2*3^2n*x^2n/(2n)! What I do not understand is how they got (2n)! I thought it should be 2(n!) and also I thought there should be a negative in the numerator...can anyone explain to me these parts I do not understand...my textbook has one small paragraph on these series and it does not explain much...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2
    Hi,

what happens to the terms in your two sums with n even, what to the terms with n odd?

4. Apr 22, 2008 #3

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

the terms with odd 'n' cancel each other, so the sum is only over terms n=0,2,4,6,... etc

then you can rewrite that as a sum over m=0,1,2,3,... etc
    then rename m->n

[edit: whoops sorry about stealing your thunder, Pere. You posted too quick for me.]

5. Apr 22, 2008 #4
    ahh I see thank you, I'm wondering though this series looks a little strange if there was one like this that I didn't have a known series for I dont think I would have ever found the general term by just looking at it...and also why does the denominator become (2n)! i thought it would be 2(n!)

6. Apr 22, 2008 #5
    I don't see how you could get a 2(n!) in the denominator. How did you get it?

As olgranpappy said, all the odd-n terms cancel. So the n=1 term of the first sum cancels with the n=1 term of the second sum and so on. What happens to the terms with n even..? Show some more work. :smile:

7. Apr 22, 2008 #6
    well actually I don't think its 2(n!) anymore either I got the general term by adding the two modified E^x general terms together which would still have just a single n! in the denominator..the even terms get multiplied by 2 but that is why I thought it would be 2*(n!) instead of (2n)!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  8. Apr 22, 2008 #7
    True, you get the n.th general term by adding the n.th general terms of the modified E^x sums, as you put it.

The result of this "adding" is however zero for odd n.. do you agree?

So in your final sum, all terms for n odd are zero ...so practically you're only summing over even integers n ...so you can just as well replace n by 2m and some over all integers m ... think about it, write down the first 20 terms or so, it's not hard :smile:

9. Apr 22, 2008 #8
    I agree that the odd terms are zero because they cancel; I think I am thinking of this (2n)! in the wrong way...so if it was say the 2nd term it would be (2!) correct? why wouldn't it be (4!) because (2*2)! = 4! ? thats where I'm confused...I understand that only the even terms have value so we're basically summing the even terms

EDIT: I think I am finally getting it because the odd terms drop out then what was once the 3rd term is basically now the 2nd term so then the bottom is (2*1)! which is why it works like this thanks a lot

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  10. Apr 22, 2008 #9
    I think I finally get it because the odd terms drop out what was once the 3rd term is now basically the 2nd term since so now the 2nd term will have (2*1)! and the third term will have (2*2)! because the third term will be the term where n=4

11. Apr 22, 2008 #10

djeitnstine

Gold Member

I don't know if this clarifies anything for you but (2*n)! simple means the number is even and likewise (2n+1)! means its odd.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?