1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maclaurin Series

1. Feb 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the Maclaurin Series for g(x)= (4)/(4+2x+x^2) and its interval of convergence.

2. Relevant equations

I know the Maclaurin Series usually involves taking derivatives but every other problem I've done so far has had a degree that I've solved to. So, other than the general equation for the Maclaurin Series, I'm not sure what other equation is relevant.

3. The attempt at a solution

At first I thought I might need to use partial fraction decomposition but then I realized the bottom did not factor easily. Do I just start taking derivatives of g(x)? And if so, where do I go from there? I would greatly appreciate a step-by-step breakdown, I think I will understand if someone breaks down the problem. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Try dividing 4 by 4 + 2x + x^2, using ordinary polynomial long division. With a Maclaurin series, however you get the series doesn't much matter, since the series representation is unique.

Doing what I suggested above, I get the first three terms as 1 - 1/2 * x - 1/4 * x^2.

4. Feb 28, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Another thing you can do is this: complete the square in the denominator to write the fraction as [itex]4/((x+1)^2+ 3)[/itex]. Divide both numerator and denominator by 3 to get (4/3)/((1/3)(x+1)^2+ 1) or (4/3)/(1- (-1/3)(x+1)^2) and think of that as the sum of a power series with first term 4/3 and common ration [itex](-1/3)(x+1)^2[/itex]. That gives the general term as [itex](4/3)(-1/3)^n(x+1)^}{2n}[/itex]. Unfortunately, that is now a Taylor's series, about x=-1, rather than a MacLaurin series!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook